M14 Forum banner

Pull through cleaning tool recommendations

4K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  dcobra823 
#1 ·
In order to avoid the theoretical muzzle wear associated with the use of a conventional cleaning rod, used, of course, with a muzzle guide, I am considering a pull-through type device for routine bore cleaning. I would appreciate any suggestions or observations regarding its use. Thanks!

#4 ·
If you are using this for a detailed cleaning in a controlled environment, then the Otis should work well for you.

However, I personally find the Otis system to be overly expensive and complicated, with the various attachments, bottles and patches. Additionally, if you happen to expend your supply of their specially cut patches, you will find it very difficult to utilize/modify a square patch.

For a simpler and less expensive field kit, I prefer a Boresnake and a bottle of solvent.

Simply apply solvent to the brush end, and then pull through the barrel.

Repeat until clean.

It can even be accomplished in the dark with cold, wet hands.

#9 ·
If you plan on going with any of the kits mentioned above, check out the listings on e-bay. That is where I bought my otis kits and I found them to be less money there than else where.
I just got the Otis 7.62/5.56 sniper kit on E-bay from Military outlet. $30.80 + $4.92 shipping.
When you run out of Otis patches, use 3"x3" Southern Bloomers cotton shotgun patches. Pierce with a knife just off center and pull a corner through the loop like a round Otis patch. That's what I do.
Glenn

#10 ·
+1 on the Otis kit. You can also get the combo kit that includes all calibers. One good thing about the Otis cable is that they don't strip out on you and they are extremely strong. Every once in a while I get too much patch and don't notice it until it is just far enough where I can't go back; however, the Otis will pull it through without any issues. I cut my own patches out of misguided gifts and other stuff. That way I can always tell the person who gave it to me, "Gee, you wouldn't believe how much use I got out of the shirt you gave me." Just yesterday I heard my wife saying, "I can't find any of the pillow shams." Awe crap, is that what those were? DI2

#12 ·
I'm in to field servicable stuff so I like the Otis, personally. Art Luppino pointed out to me that if you pull at an angle that is not in line with the bore you are still liable to wear the crown. Maybe not as quickly as a rod, but who knows?

I use a guide over the regular GI type FH and am careful to keep the Otis in the middle of the four prongs on my SEI as the muzzle guide I have wont fit over the SEI Vortex.

SS

#21 ·
Stay away from them. Art
Art,
Please comment on your aversion to the Otis, et al, pull-through cleaning kits for use on our beloved M-14's.

I use an Otis pull-through on my SIG's (handguns), and my AR's. Although, I use my official "Art Luppino Model" cleaning rod with muzzle guide, as well as my official "Art Luppino Model" chamber swab-holder thingy on my M-14's!MCORPS1

TIA, Art.

louie, out!

PS...For you folks who use Bore-Snakes...
The Bore-Snakes will load-up with lead and copper after several uses; I know from first hand experience. I'm not about to lunch a $500 Krieger barrel with a Bore-Snake, hence, all of my Bore-Snakes are NG for use on my sticks.

#17 ·
i use a boresnake for all my guns. it works great. i pull it through 2 times and wam bam thank you mam, its done. great for cleaning right after or before use of your gun. if your bore hasnt been cleaned in a while i would run a patch through first.

thumbs up for the boresnake IMO.

#19 ·
I've used these:

Otis - Good kit. Sturdy. No complaints, except maybe the special patches.

Bore snake - Simple. I keep a .22, .30 and .45 bore snake in my range bag. Good for touch ups between "real" cleanings.

Patch worm (commercial version of weed eater line) - Lightweight, compact, inexpensive, uses standard patches or felt scrubbers. No brush though. Works great for .22s. I haven't used it much with jacketed centerfire ammo yet.

#20 ·
For in the field/range use, I've used a variety of pull throughs. For at home use I'll use a one piece Dewey Rod/bore guide, and clean from the chamber to the bore. For a cheap pull-through, look at GPC's WW2 brass 30cal. pull through made for the Garand. $1.50 @, and a piece of history also. dozier

#23 ·
Boresnake

Boresnake or otis.

I use the boresnake.

Pour hoppe's all over it. Pull it through half a dozen times.

If you doubt it will work then do it, them pull a white patch through and see how clean it is...

#26 ·
I've used boresnakes on all calibers and types for years. Rod and patch too, but the snake is safe, and unmatched for field expedient cleaning and interim maintenance. The nylon cord will no more wear out your muzzle than the man in the moon, in fact quite the opposite. If you don't pull em straight you'll eventually break the string. On an M14 the flash hider prevents a sharp angle on the muzz anyhow.

As far as the Boresnake getting dirty and "lunching" a $500 barrel....You wash your underwear dont you?GI2 Pretreat in wisk or simple green and put that snake through the laundry with your jeans. Tie em in a loop through your belt loops.

Prior to boresnakes, I had a length of manilla twine. weighted with a squirrel tail on the end, per IDF issue. Israelis had the dirty rifle thing worked out years ago...

Pull throughs are not a substitute for rod/brush/patch, but certainly have their place.

PS....put a white patch on the endloop of the snake and pull it through.GI2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.