M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friends new G3 PTR and it is stove piping and the cases a being crushed by the bolt meaning no constant ejection . I have tried 5 different kinds of ammo same problem. At the range last weekend another person had a brand new PTR and was having the same exact issues, Any help from you roller delayed blow back guys.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have little knowlege of the G3 but, I understand they can be picky with ammo. Failure to eject can be caused by several different things: worn extractor spring, bad extractor, weak ejector, dirty chamber, and with the PTR 91 too tight of a bolt gap. Aparently the rifle needs a specific bolt gap to produce enough energy to start the extraction process.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It could be headspace, extractor, rollers, springs, or at worst a cracked trunnion . Check extractor with a dummy round to see of it is sticking. Take the bolt apart and clean it and clean the rifle everywhere. Use oil not grease (its not a tractor like the m1a) Might need different rollers depending on headspace.

If you take it apart including the bolt and clean everything real well to make sure the extractor is not sticking and it still has problems it may need different rollers which you CAN switch out yourself if you can check headspace.

If all is cleaned up and extractor isn't sticking and you cant headspace because you don't feel like it or don't want to go buy go-no-go gages then call up PTR (they have great customer support) Ask for Chris (hopefully he still works there) and let him know what's going on and what you have done to try to remedy this such as checking extractor and such. He will get you up and going. And if all else fails he will have your buddy send it in and he will fix it.

Sorry for your troubles. These rifles usually are very reliable and roll like thunder but as usual with most things there are some lemons out there.

PS also use a GI mag ;)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had the same issues about two weeks ago while test firing my G3 build. After getting home I noticed the extractor spring as really weak/loose/bent and there was no tension on the extractor when the bolt was at the rearward position. It pulled cases out of the chamber fine, but would not kick them out every time. I took the bolt apart and bent the spring angle to be tighter - but now I have to wait to get out shooting to see if that was the culprit. Anyhow - maybe check that area......

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
Luckily for your friend PTR has an excellent warranty program like Springfield armory inc. if cleaning and ammo change didn't help its time to ship it back. HkPro forum has a whole section on clones.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Could have something to do with whatever 10rd mags you are using. If that isn't the case just send it back as the other things that could be wrong with it are a PITA and/or nearly impossible for the average homebody to fix.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
For the little bit it costs these companies should fire 20 rounds or so with the mags they are shipping. It would save everyone a lot of stress and costs. The betterment of the manufacturers reputations would be well worth it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had to send my Ptr gi-r back to the factory the first day I got it. They paid for shipping both ways and fixed the rifle fast. I have the rifle and it shoots nice. Email them and send it in. Easy peasy

·
Registered
561 Posts
Take look at HK Pro forum as previously stated much help there, I know there were a few soft bolt issues talked about on HKPro, very few PTRs but like said before #1 call PTR that way the can help and ALSO #2 it will help with QC and Tech of their products, I have a PTR GI R waiting for me to pay it off so it can come home with me to meet it,s much older HK Frankenstein brother parts kit I acquiring parts for...fun fun fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.