M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up at local reloading store,some 150Gr FMJ Prvi Partizan (PPU) bullets today for reloading both M1A in 308 and 30-06 M1 Garand, for punching paper only, 100-200 yards. These are not their match bullets.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/12611

I did not notice that there is, I assume, a groove (not a cannelure)were there is normally the case would be crimped. I do not crimp my reloads for these rifles since I have been using match bullets. It is not recommend to crimp match bullets.

If my COL has the case mouth at the same location as the groove, what if anything do I need to know if I do not crimp?
How will not crimping the case mouth effect accuracy?
Have you reloaded with these bullets, how did they perform?

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
SoCal1911

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have heard that you don't need to worry about where the cannelure is with respect to the mouth of the case as long as the bullet is seated at the appropriate depth for a correct cartridge overall length. Depending on the status of case length and trimming the end if the case will not always be at the same cannelure position.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It all depends on, If you have sufficient Neck tension as with your other ammo , no need to crimp . You will know when you seat the first Bullet & you can measure the case Neck before seating & after Seating a Bullet to see neck tension measurement .

The Cannelure , if not Crimping , means nothing , seat the Bullet where you want your COAL .As long as you have proper neck tension .

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
^^^ this is my thought as well ^^^

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The Cannelure , if not Crimping , means nothing , seat the Bullet where you want your COAL .As long as you have proper neck tension .
That's it in a nutshell.

I have used those Prvi bullets for years in my M1a and M1 Garand, they are pretty decent.

As it relates to the cannelure, different bullets have a different profile...

L to R... Winchester, Prvi, Hornday

If you look, even though the WW and Prvi cannelure is in the same general position, the bullet ogive shape is different. The Hornady is completely different... higher cannelure (deeper seat) and their Secant ogive shape. It is my understanding the Hornady bullet was designed for the M1 Garand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATES...
Loaded up for the M1A 308 to 2.800 OAL using the Prvi 150Gr bullets, and the cannelure is below the case mouth,no crimp applied. .003 neck tension, look good. Thanks guys for the insights. When I try them I will let you know.

Have not tried these Prvi bullets in the M1 yet......TBD

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Bullet are cannelured to keep the jacket attached to the core.

The military likes to crimp ammunition that might be used in auto loaders or machine guns.

For our purposes, we can ignore both. When Grafs had them on sale, I picked up a 1k ct case of the Lapua 150gr bullets for my M80 and M2 duplicates. They use a locked base instead of a cannelure to keep the jacket and core together. I have not had a chance to try them yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cannelures are there to provide a place to crimp. They were originated on cast bullets to hold lube, then with the invention of the metallic cartridge case, to prevent setback or movement when handling and chambering, to prevent setback or forward movement under recoil in revolvers, and provide for consistent initial pressure build.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Similar results with different brands as well. My preference is to duplicate military loads with minor changes made to improve accuracy. Like others, I also have a project in the works to replicate a reasonably accurate M80 clone, and then load 500 or so for long term storage, so I want a crimp at the cannelure.

I too have a box of Hornady that I will probably use up as plinking loads. Armscor 147's are almost spot on, but they pretty much suck in tip shape/length/weight variation. I have a box of General Dynamics pulldown's but have not had a chance yet to look at them closely

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Crimps aren't necessary for the M1A/M14, Garand, and bolt guns - neck tension is enough. And I don't crimp for ARs. I crimp for my FAL fodder and G-43 because the rounds hit the ramps nose-on pretty hard. Handguns all get crimped.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 147 gr M80 type bullets are different from the 150 gr M1 type bullets in the location of the cannelure, and ogive. They can be used interchangeably in 30 cal and 308, but as noted above the COAL must be correct for your application. Good pics of the different bullets. I load both, and find that the 147 grain and 150 gr work best in their respective applications. Mine get used in MGs a lot, as well as the M1A and M1 Garand.... ALWAYS looking for the M2 profile 150 gr projectiles for 30 cal relaods. I go through a LOT of this ammo in the Browning MGs.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The 147 gr M80 type bullets are different from the 150 gr M1 type bullets in the location of the cannelure, and ogive. They can be used interchangeably in 30 cal and 308, but as noted above the COAL must be correct for your application. Good pics of the different bullets. I load both, and find that the 147 grain and 150 gr work best in their respective applications. Mine get used in MGs a lot, as well as the M1A and M1 Garand.... ALWAYS looking for the M2 profile 150 gr projectiles for 30 cal relaods. I go through a LOT of this ammo in the Browning MGs. View attachment 431446
Nice group of MGs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts