M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts as to why I would be seeing flames from around the bolt/receiver when firing this ammo? Maybe the short barrell is not a good idea with this ammo? I shot Dag also in the same sitting, with no visible fireballs and about the same accuracy. Thanks for any help. NewbieFNG

·
Registered
558 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts as to why I would be seeing flames from around the bolt/receiver when firing this ammo? Maybe the short barrell is not a good idea with this ammo? I shot Dag also in the same sitting, with no visible fireballs and about the same accuracy. Thanks for any help. NewbieFNG
Scary. I might consider not shooting it any more in that rifle. Just a thought...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been firing it in my scout without any visible fireballs. I shot 60 rounds yesterday.

Did you shot the DAG after the prvi partisan? Something could of happened to the rifle?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I shoot it in my Socom16 with no problems.

The only thing that every gave me a fireball was some crap steel-cased ammo I shot and, luckly, that was out the muzzle.

Are there any soot marks on the fired cases?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is really weird as I have shot both them in my JRA 18.5" and never seen anything like that. If you wanna trade 100 rds of the Priv for 100 rds of the German let me know.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if you see flames coming from the bolt/reciever, dont pull the trigger on that rifle again. if your seeing excessive muzzle flash, thats not a big deal. different powders exhibit different amounts of muzzle flash from short barrels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prvi problems

I was interchanging between both Dag and Prvi. Only the Prvi showed any signs of problems. Thanks to everyone for your input. I will not be shooting this ammo thru this rifle anymore.

Could the problem be the short length of the barrell? I did do the tilt test after noticing the problem and the gas piston was not moving freely.

I did not see any soot on the casings.

I thought I remembered reading a thread about this ammo needing to be checked for overall length of the bullet. Maybe that is the problem. Inconsistent length?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
if you see flames coming from the bolt/reciever, dont pull the trigger on that rifle again. if your seeing excessive muzzle flash, thats not a big deal. different powders exhibit different amounts of muzzle flash from short barrels.

I agree. Something is not right here. Flame should not be shooting out of the bolt/receiver. Time to start looking at why this is happening. dozier

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the gas plug did shoot loose after about 100 rounds. Time to order some shims?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
definitely flames out of the receiver. I shoot left handed so it was very visible. Also could "feel" it on my face. GI4 The last rounds I shot for the day were Dag. No problems and no fireballs anywhere........

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
do not shoot that rifle again!!!!!!!!!!!! does not matter which ammo it was you were using, you have an unsafe piece of machinery. if its a springfield, have them fix it, if not, it needs to visit a good gunsmith.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
for my own curiousity, was it muzzle flash, or did you actually see flames coming out of the bolt/reciever?
I would tend to agree, for a number of reasons. If gas was going around the cartridge case, soot marks would be evident on the fired cases. Check the cases for a pierced primer as well.

When I was firing the Monarch steel-cased ammo, it was shooting a 1' flame out of the muzzle brake... straight up! It was quite unnerving but, from the shooter's point of view, it was right in my face. Are you sure you weren't mistaking flash from the muzzle brake for gas escaping out of the breech?

As I mentioned before, I shoot Prvi (the 145grn FMJ stuff) from my Socom16, it does quite well. There are no pressure signs and I don't recall that big of a flash signature, even with the brake. If there were problems big enough that gas/flame was coming back out of the breech, it would do it with any ammo, not just Prvi. I have a Wilson .308 case gauge, the Prvi measures up fine (a case gauge, not a chamber gauge.)

Either you have a serious problem (out of battery ignition... and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation if that was the problem... dance2 ) or you are, perhaps, mis-identifying the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
checked cases

I just checked all 200 cases, all primers look fine. Maybe I am mis-identifying, could be my reatardedness.GI8 Anyhow, here's a picture of some of the spent brass.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I just checked all 200 cases, all primers look fine. Maybe I am mis-identifying, could be my reatardedness.GI8 Anyhow, here's a picture of some of the spent brass.
They look GTG to me, even the primers look normal (from the picture.)

The Buddy System might be in order here... double-check everything and try it again. Have a shooting buddy stand broadside to the weapon when you are firing it, preferably in dim light or shadow. I would also give a quick visual check after each round to make sure the bolt is down in battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts