Votes: 82 48.2%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 32 18.8%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became the proud owner of an M1A Standard with walnut stock and I of course want to take good care it. Right now it has a dull finish and I would like it a big glossier, but not too much. After hours and hours of using the search button I've seen a wide variety of things people use to protect/preserve the walnut stocks but I figure a poll will be the best way to see which is the most popular. I did send and receive a reply back from Springfield Armory regarding this. Here was their reply.

Troy,
Thank you for your purchase of our M1A model. We use linseed oil rubbed into the stock here.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Tung oil, pure tung oil and not the blended stuff. Would be the correct finish used on M14's and most of the Garands by the Government.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the Tung Oil is winning so far, Thanks for the link geepee3. I found a supplier that carries the exact same product for the same price but the shipping is a little cheaper since they offer USPS as an option instead of only UPS. Saved me a little over $7 (i'm sure this will vary depending on your location)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Looks like the Tung Oil is winning so far, Thanks for the link geepee3. I found a supplier that carries the exact same product for the same price but the shipping is a little cheaper since they offer USPS as an option instead of only UPS. Saved me a little over $7 (i'm sure this will vary depending on your location)
May I ask who that supplier is, please? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Charlene32,
Is one type of oil preferred over the other depending on the kind of wood? I thought I saw a picture of a rifle of yours somewhere that had a beautiful stock but I'm sure it was not walnut.
m14brian

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
I voted other. I use "salad dressing." Yes,,I call it salad dressing.Before you all laugh,read on.
I read this in a 50s dated M1 Garand manual on "how to" national match and M1 Garand.Yes a real GI manual. It is a one to one to one mix of the following.
Boiled linseed oil,distilled white vinegar,and turpentine. Mix equal parts and shake well.Apply generously and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.You don't want to go past 10 minutes as the mix will get tacky. Wipe down real well,let sit overnite,or a couple of days,doesn't seem to matter, and repeat process. All 28 of my 03 variations,M1 sniper variations, standard M1s,M1 Carbine and my semi M14s have been hit with salad dressing,,and ALL have that nice rich deep brown with a hint of red.It's the only stuff I will use on GI walnut.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I use PTO cut 50/50 with Odorless Mineral Spirits for better absorption. I give it a coat and let it dry for a few hours, wipe off the excess and let it sit for a day or two and then repeat as needed.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I use Tru Oil. Raw and the normal boiled linseed oil sold in hardware stores is NOT the same thing as the original BLO, but both the common stuff sold as BLO and raw are only good to keep the stocks moist so they don't crack. They will not keep too much water from getting into the wood. Tung oil is better than either boiled or raw linseed oil, but it is not as good as Tru Oil.

http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/104330-refinishing-wooden-stocks.html

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use Tru Oil. Raw and the normal boiled linseed oil sold in hardware stores is NOT the same thing as the original BLO, but both the common stuff sold as BLO and raw are only good to keep the stocks moist so they don't crack. They will not keep too much water from getting into the wood. Tung oil is better than either boiled or raw linseed oil, but it is not as good as Tru Oil.

http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/104330-refinishing-wooden-stocks.html
Tru Oil is a wiping varnish IIRC, compared to linseed and tung. Well worth pointing out.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.