M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When unscrewing the Vortex from the barrel, where is the proper place to support the rifle so nothing gets buggered up?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Shouldn't be that tight so just use a GC wrench when you loosen it. That's all I ever used when I had one and never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be that tight so just use a GC wrench when you loosen it. That's all I ever used when I had one and never had any issues.
Good deal, thanks. I didn't put it on and I wasn't sure how tight it was on there. I've only ever dealt with the USGI flash suppressor and castle nut before.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
If you reinstall it, just screw it down hand tight, do NOT use a wrench. The design is self tightening and it'll find it's natural stopping point when you shoot the rifle.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's good to know that the DC Vortex is self tightening. I'm looking at putting one on a scout that should be arriving soon. Ahhh, the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
OK. So what are the wrench flats for, then?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you want to use a GC wrench on the GC and a 3/4" box wrench on the flash hider. Be firm, but gentle. Snug, rather than tight. And use anti-seize compound.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
OK. So what are the wrench flats for, then?
Removal.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you want to use a GC wrench on the GC and a 3/4" box wrench on the flash hider. Be firm, but gentle. Snug, rather than tight. And use anti-seize compound.
Hand tight and no anti-seize needed due to the design.

That's what Ron told me when I went to the shop and I asked about it (I was asking in reference to differences between the DC Vortex and DC compensator).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts