M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member, new shooter. Apologies if this question has been asked.

I was wondering what people here suggest for proper safety operation on the M1a. My understanding is that one should aim, then disengage the safety once ready, then fire.

The M1A's safety is pretty stiff so I'm finding that when i use my thumb to disengage the safety, my grip change disrupts the sight picture. I end up having to aim all over again. Is the recommendation to disengage the safety before aiming? or is that bad practice?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Learn to use the backside of your trigger finger to push the safety forward
Ah ok thanks. That's what i figured. At the moment, the safety switch is pretty stiff so i was thinking i was doing something wrong. Others in the forum have suggested that the switch will smooth out over time so maybe it's a matter of patience and finger callus.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use the tip of my trigger finger to push the safety forward when ready to shoot. If popping up for a quick shot I will do this when bringing the rifle up to my shoulder. If firing from a supported position for a prepared shot you just push it off when readying yourself to fire. It positions your finger nicely for pulling the trigger. When reengaging the safety I will break my grip with my shooting hand and pull the safety back with my trigger finger. With practice you can get just as quick as an AR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine loosened up pretty quickly. around a hundred rounds it stopped really digging in and started to snap forward nicely. It was definitely pretty stiff at first though. think you have to break the finish a bit.

Reactions: rwalk

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Pull the trigger housing/assembly out of the frame, make sure it's lubed properly.

Put it back in and just work the safety on/off, on/off, on/off, over and over and over till it starts to loosen up. Use your thumb, your finger, whatever you need to use to work that trigger.

If you get tired, finger/thumb gets tender then stop. Tomorrow, work that safety on/off, on/off over and over. It's going to loosen up.

I've had to do that on a pistol a few years back. Got a new CZ and dog gone that safety was stiff. Couldn't hardly move it. Turned the TV on, made sure the pistol was unloaded and started working the safety back and forth. First thumb got tired. Second thumb got tired. Started using a finger. After a few minutes of this it began to loosen up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pull the trigger housing/assembly out of the frame, make sure it's lubed properly.

Put it back in and just work the safety on/off, on/off, on/off, over and over and over till it starts to loosen up. Use your thumb, your finger, whatever you need to use to work that trigger.

If you get tired, finger/thumb gets tender then stop. Tomorrow, work that safety on/off, on/off over and over. It's going to loosen up.

I've had to do that on a pistol a few years back. Got a new CZ and dog gone that safety was stiff. Couldn't hardly move it. Turned the TV on, made sure the pistol was unloaded and started working the safety back and forth. First thumb got tired. Second thumb got tired. Started using a finger. After a few minutes of this it began to loosen up.
Second. I do this with all new guns. Mostly because I cant put them down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks! i'll try this out.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
... New member, new shooter. Apologies if this question has been asked.

I was wondering what people here suggest for proper safety operation on the M1a. ...
---------------------------------
1) There is no problem with 'dry-firing' the rifle. NO cartridge in the chamber (visually verify!) and no magazine. Pull the oprod about halfway back to **** the hammer, and then ease the oprod fully forward.
2) LEARN how to operate the trigger. The 1st stage (lighter pull weight) disengages most of the sear contact. The 2nd stage (when the 1st stage stops) is used to actually release the hammer. Learn how much trigger pull weight for the 1st stage, how much additional weight to 2nd stage WITHOUT having the hammer release, and how much more to release the hammer.
3) When the hammer does release, continue pulling the trigger and HOLD it fully rearward. When actually firing you should hold the trigger rearward until recoil has stopped and then remove finger from trigger and let the trigger go fully forward.
Don't use a delicate 'just touch it off' trigger pull - your finger will bounce around in the trigger guard and fire another shot - called a 'double'.
4) The hammer releasing and firing should never be a 'surprise' - if should only fire when you want it to. If it fires when you're not expecting it to there's a problem. You might not know the precise instant that the hammer will release, but it should be when you want it to.

The Safety
If you are carrying a loaded rifle, the safety should be ON. And the rifle should only be loaded when there is an immediate need or desire to shoot.
In most non-movement stationary target shooting, the rifle is being handled very carefully and the safety is rarely used. Keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard until ready to aim and shoot!

At a range, be careful to never point the muzzle at other people - straight UP or DOWN, or with the muzzle pointer down range.
When people are down range fixing their targets, never handle any firearms - YOU might know you are safe, but other people can't tell what you're doing.
When stopping shooting for people to go down range, remove the magazine, and open the bolt so it is visible that the rifle is unloaded - and just set it securely at your position or in a rack. Always verify with other people that you are going down range and that everyone is safe.

Be safe, and let people around you SEE that you are safe.

Jay

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Lubrication:

Put a drop of oil behind the safety, where it rubs along the left side of the housing.

Put a dab of grease on the bottom of the safety, where the detents rock back and forth on the spring.

Put a dab of grease on the front of the safety, where it contacts the hammer.

Fire and Manuever:

When in position, push the safety forward with your trigger finger and then keep your finger outside the guard until ready to fire.

Push the safety rearward any way you want, before getting up and moving to your next position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts