M14 Forum banner

Proper Fit of My New USGI Stock to my FA scout

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  botlaudio 
#1 ·
Hello All! Was hoping you guys could take a look at these pictures and let me know if the fit of my new usgi stock looks good. The lock up is tighter than the walnut that it came in but doesn't have that "Fits like a glove feel" to it, which I assume is normal. This is my first post on the forum and the knowledge I have received from you guys is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to teach us young guys the things you had to learn on your own through trial and error and thank you for taking the time to give me your opinions.

#4 ·
Is there any slop? Either lateral or front to back?

Shoot it. If it groups well then the fit is good. USGI fiberglass stocks tend to fit snug in terms of lockup.

#7 ·
Can you slip a cleaning patch between the Barrel band lip and the ferrule?

Can you slip a cleaning patch between the Barrel band lip and the ferrule?
If you can the fit is loose if not you should be good to go. FG stocks should have a tight lock up.

#8 ·
Just shot it and got good grouping, a little bit of change on the POA and POI from the wood stock. Also noticed than one side of the front ferrule is wearing more than the other and I can now see metal after 20 rounds, were before I shot today I could not see metal.

I could not get a patch under the lip of the band on the side that is showing wear but i could get it under on the other side about 1/32.

#9 ·
A couple more pictures so everyone can get a reference to the size The gap of the FB and SF is the width of a nickel and that is an index card I'm using to try and demonstrate how much room is underneath the lip of the FB. I really appreciate everyone's help!

#10 ·
Good Fit

Good fit .
If you cannot slip the patch all the way under the band then you should be good to go. Groups look good. I also find that the FG stock is different but better.
If you really want a tight fit get another FG Stock if fit is good then Bed it with SteelBed from Brownells.

Good Luck

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply! Do you foresee any problems coming from the side of the SF where the rubbing seems to be a little more prominate? Do you have any suggestions on were I could find a tighter fitting USGI fiberglass? Or is that pretty much a gamble? Again, thank you for your help.

#15 ·
Freds M14 Stocks

You can get an unissued (New) Exc Cond USGI FG Stock for $125.00
or a VG Condition for $85.00 including all metal. Do not forget to buy a hand guard . I hand purchased several Exc Cond and all locked up very tight & you can paint it any shade you wish.

Good Luck
John C.

Reactions: PHALANX
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.