M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know I'm currently re-building up my SA XD-40 into a whole new gun. It's meant to be used as a Limited gun for USPSA/IPSC shooting and hopefully will serve me well once it's finished.

Here's what has been done so far:

DP Adjustable sight set
Extended mag release
Canyon Creek magwell
Springer Precision trigger kit (down to 2-3lbs and 75% of the travel gone)
4 Canyon Creek extended magazine kits (16rd)
Match barrel
Tungsten guide rod
Stippled the frame

Refinished ALL metal parts in a glossy black finish by Canyon Creek, Getting the entire frame painted in Everglades Green Duracoat with glossy clear coat to finish it off.

Should receive the metal parts sometime next week (in transit) and once I get those I'll start to use the Duracoat.

One thing I know for sure, This stuff sure is expensive to do. GI3

Here's some of my pictures so far.
There's probably some better more complex way to do this but I made sure I cleaned it up really nice before I put that Magwell on. Looked as if a Pro did it. GI5

A true would have used duct tape, but I'm a smart . Didn't want to clean off all the residue. GI2

(before I stippled the frame)

Stippling. First time trying this, I think I did pretty good.

Stippling finished

Getting my mag tubes prepped for the new kits.

All finished with the magazines

Will post up some more pictures when I get my parts next week and when the entire thing is completed. Hope this amused you guys.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looking real good man, that's a fantastic stippling job for your first time, i'd be damn proud of it. Keep up the good work, that sure is gonna be one sweet shooter.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my parts back

I just got all my parts that got refinished in the mail this morning, and good timing too. Today is my birthday and this is one hellava present.

I lost my role pin though. Anybody got a spare they can send me as a present? GI1

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got my Ghost holster in today.

This little sucker came with set screws out the @$$ and not one Allen wrench. Way to piss of a customer.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang man, that is one fine looking XD. Anything else you can tell me about your stippling procedure? I'm also curious about the trigger.

It's currently getting painted. Everglades green duracoat with a clear coat over the top, and some white designs of whatever the artist I gave it to thinks would look nice.

Nothign really special about the stippling, other than you only get one shot to screw it all up. Be careful.

The trigger is a Springer Precision kit that I fitted/installed. Removed a good 75% of the over travel and lightened it down to about 3lbs. Totally worth the 130$ I spent on it.

Reactions: conditionone

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished!!!!!

Finished! Finally! It's great seeing a project come out how you want it, (or close enough). GI1

Got painted in Duracoat Everglades Green, over a base coat of white. Looks puuuuurdy nice if you ask me. I'll be sending it back to him when I get some black duracoat to do some final artistry over the top of the green. He said the white didn't come out too well over the green so he didn't do it.

Overall, I'm happy. What do you guys think?

This is for USPSA/IPSC matches.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH MY LORD!!, MY EYES!! what have you done!! seriously the green paint has too go! back too black please.
It's supposed to be flashy GI1

Looks a lot more neon in person.

... And it never was black.......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Black art work on the green would stand out pretty cool. Since you used Everglase green why don't you have an Egrett stenciled on it. Cool XD I own an XD45 tactical with a springer trigger in it and an XDM40. I find the XDM trigger just as good as my springer trigger in the 45. I use both for USPSA matches.
Your stipling job is top notch. I have seen some really bad jobs done on them. I'm to chicken to try so I use skate board tape!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Black art work on the green would stand out pretty cool. Since you used Everglase green why don't you have an Egrett stenciled on it. Cool XD I own an XD45 tactical with a springer trigger in it and an XDM40. I find the XDM trigger just as good as my springer trigger in the 45. I use both for USPSA matches.
Your stipling job is top notch. I have seen some really bad jobs done on them. I'm to chicken to try so I use skate board tape!

Yea, when I was getting ready to do it (it was my first time) I felt like I was about to jump off a bridge or something. There's a couple spots where it got a little messy but I recovered on it and it doesn't look too bad.

When I get some black paint I'm going to have him do some kind of abstract design over the green in black. Going to look pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here she is all set up in my USPSA rig before last Sunday's match.

It was an all classifier match, 6 stages in total.

Made B class in Limited and L10.

And yes, she is in fact a VERY sweet shooter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.