M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has become of great importance in NYS where high cap mags can only be registered if they are "antique", which is defined as 50 years old.
What information & references are available to confirm that W marked mags (Westinghouse) were made in 1961?
Where can I learn production dates of mags marked BRW S-1 (Borg Warner, 1962?).
or Kmtco (Killeen Machine & Tool, "early 1960's")
and OM (Olin Matheson aka Winchester)
thanks guys, I want to be able to use 'em not lose 'em.
Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
To avoid any trouble I drilled and used two steel pop rivets in all of my Magazines so they will only accept 10 rounds . I know this may make peoples hair stand on end ( trust me drilling real HK93 and BM59 mags did not make me very happy ) but getting arrested over a magazine is not worth it in my opinon . I have rare slab sided AK 47 mags made in the early 50's which would make it more than 50 years old but the NY state police told me I Still needed to register it as the mag holds more then 10 rounds. You need a minimum of two rivets to be legal in NY .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your advice.
I found the "Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide" by Lee Emerson online with production dates of the various manufacturers. Many can be registered in NYS as antiques. (This publication is loaded with a wealth of good info and well worth getting a copy.)
W marked mags made in 1961 & 1962 = 52-53 years old
OM mags made in 1962 = 52 years old
Kmtco mags made in 1965 = a close call, this is the 50th year, can be registered in January (maybe?)
other manufacturers whose M14 mags are 50 years old: Union Hardware, Atwood Vacuum, Brunswick Sports, Rochester Manufacturing.
Borg Warner made mags for several years, some would be 50 years old. Don't know yet whether the different years of production were marked differently.
Frank

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
thanks for your advice.
I found the "Pictorial M14 Magazine Identification Guide" by Lee Emerson online with production dates of the various manufacturers. Many can be registered in NYS as antiques. (This publication is loaded with a wealth of good info and well worth getting a copy.)
W marked mags made in 1961 & 1962 = 52-53 years old
OM mags made in 1962 = 52 years old
Kmtco mags made in 1965 = a close call, this is the 50th year, can be registered in January (maybe?)
other manufacturers whose M14 mags are 50 years old: Union Hardware, Atwood Vacuum, Brunswick Sports, Rochester Manufacturing.
Borg Warner made mags for several years, some would be 50 years old. Don't know yet whether the different years of production were marked differently.
Frank
Killeen Machine & Tool Co. (Worcester, MA) manufactured M14 magazines for Springfield Armory as early as January 1963. Borg-Warner made M14 magazines as early as March 1962. The only USGI contractor that did not make any M14 magazines before 1964 was Check-Mate Industries. Except for some CMI magazines, USGI contract M14 magazines do not have date codes apart from the packaging.

Also, here is my article on Union Hardware and Brunswick Sports:

M14 Magazines - Union Hardware Co. and Brunswick Sports Products

Union Hardware & Metal Company, Inc. was established by no later than 1934. It was located near present day Little Tokyo in Los Angeles on East First Street between Central Avenue and Alameda Street. From at least 1940 onward, it published an annual hard cover print catalog of its wares.

Regarding the M14 Rifle, Union Hardware & Metal Co. made M14 magazines around 1959 and 1960 for Springfield Armory. It ceased to be a corporation as of December 21, 1960. Most of its assets were bought up by another longstanding manufacturer, the Brunswick Corporation.

Brunswick Sports Products Co. manufactured M14 magazines in the second half of 1961 and the first half of 1962 for Winchester. Thus, there were two companies in Los Angeles that made M14 magazines but it was on the same machinery. Consequently, M14 magazines produced by Brunswick Sports Products are marked UHC. I have verified this by opening and examining a 1962 NIW four pack of M14 magazines marked UHC and the packaging marked Brunswick Sports Products and Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation.

At the end of 1960, Union Hardware & Metal Company, Inc. closed up shop and sold its assets to the Brunswick Corporation. However, its contract hardware division remained in business but was formed as a new business, Contract Builders Hardware Company Inc. The President of Union Hardware & Metal Company became the head of the new company. He and six other former employees of Union Hardware & Metal Company established this new firm. Unfortunately, the principal owner of Contract Builders Hardware passed away in early 1963. His son inherited the business but had no interest in running it. So, the firm was closed.

Not to be deterred, the former Union Hardware employees used their own personal funds and opened back up for business. In December 1963, Construction Hardware Company (then 1100 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel CA) was established. The company grew through the years. By 1983, the company had moved to its present location, 216 Pacific St. Pomona, CA. Construction Hardware Co. sells a full line of metal doors, frames and hardware to the construction industry.

It appears that at some point Union Hardware & Metal Company restarted or attempted to restart some point after 1960. The State of California Secretary of State lists the business license for a company of the exact same name in suspended status as of January 01, 1982. The last address listed for this last firm was a residence in Los Angeles and the contact was the company president.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts