M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always hand prime my rifle reloads and have issues with anything with a small primer. My process is:

After resizing, I swag the pocket using RCBS case prep center.
Then clean and chamfer also using the RCBS prep center.
I hand prime using an RCBS universal hand primer. I've used a Lee primer with even worse results.

Usually the primers don't go in completely straight or jams up completely. If I do a batch of 20 rounds, I'll lose 3-5 due to something screwing up with priming.

This never happens when I use large primers.

Any suggestions? I'm not completely happy with the RCBS primer tools, does anyone have a better suggestion?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Do you have any problems when using non crimped brass?

You must not be taking enough of the crimp out or your taking out to much (you can over do it). I use the RCBS press mounted swager tool and the crimp comes out with little effort in 223 then prime away.
I find that reaming takes out to much brass. Swaging is the way to go.
By the way I use a RCBS Universal hand primer it works perfect. I really can feel the primer seat. Primer goes in straight no problems.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have used the RCBS bench primer. In 10Ks of thousands of rounds I doubt there was 5? primer misfeeds and they were caught before seating. Truth be told, they were more the fault of the operator than the tool.

Down side is, you can't easily prime while watching TV but that tool just flat out works.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've never used the RCBS hand primer tool. Does it have interchangable heads for large and small primers. On my regular RCBS priming tool I have had a problem when I accidentally used a large primer punch with a small primer.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've never used the RCBS hand primer tool. Does it have interchangable heads for large and small primers. On my regular RCBS priming tool I have had a problem when I accidentally used a large primer punch with a small primer.
This would be my thoughts too, tool should have 2 sizes of plastic inserts and 2 sizes of rods for large and small primers. When you change sizes make sure you don't let the charging handle come out completely as it is somewhat tricky to get all the parts lined up again.
Bob

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Lenny

I have the same RCBS equipment and do it the same way you do. You would have to be using the "small" plastic feed insert and small plunger or none of the primers would go in. I did wear out the plastic feed insert for the small primers and RCBS sent me a new one free! ( I was having issues with plunger hitting the feed insert and crooked primers )

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
My first thought is the Primer feed being at fault but as Shooter said do you have trouble with non crimped Brass?
If for some reason the de crimping is getting the pocket too over sized the small primers can **** as they go in.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
"After resizing, I swag the pocket using RCBS case prep center."

You mean you remove the primer crimp , right ?

There is no way to actually swag on the RCBS prep center.

Can you post a photo of your prepped cases ?

It really sounds like you aren't removing all of the crimp and it is causing binding up issues with your hand priming tools.

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to get some photos. I know I'm using the correct parts on the primer as instead of switching back and forth between parts on my primer tool, I just bought two of them. I use the another primer tool, with the different inserts for my large primers with no issues.

All the brass I've ever shot in .223/5.56 has a crimp. I don't recall ever loading uncrimped brass.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I dumped the RCBS hand primer for a K&M hand primer.

I still use the RCBS, but only when doing pistol stuff.

I have used both the wilson and dillon crimp removers. It's easy to remove not enough or too much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When you think about it, the old spent primer cup has passed through the crimp ring twice before you address the problem: once, when the pressurized primer cup beats the case head face back to the bolt face; once, when you punch out the primer cup during sizing.

What remains is a smeared burr pointed out to just catch a corner of the new primer cup when you try to insert it causing a misalignment. All that is needed is to push that crimp ring artifact burr diametrically out and round it off just a bit. For small primer pockets or even large primer pockets, that is usually only one or two thousandths on the diameter.

Hand-held primer inserters offer a tactile feedback to the operator that is just not available with any of the other means of insertion.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Hand-held primer inserters offer a tactile feedback to the operator that is just not available with any of the other means of insertion.
I still use the Old (old) RCBS hand priming Tool. Single load one at a time. Slow as all get out but I 'Feel" each primer as it seats.

Just yesterday as I was doing 50 cases I thought about getting something faster/better but i think for now I'll just stick with this.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use a Hornady hand priming tool. It also uses two different diameter plungers for small and large primers. I find my priming issues are related to the old primer crimp, doesn't matter whether it's large or small. I have much more difficulties, though, with small primers than large. I load mostly .308 (large) and 300 BLK (small) and use LC brass about 90% for both. Even if the brass I get was advertised as "crimp removed", I can still see on most cases there is a small remnant. I use a deburring tool to remove the rest of the crimp. It only touches the edge of the pocket and not the entire wall, and a quick single twist is usually all it needs to make a small bevel where the crimp was, and the new primer presses right in, nice and snug.

·
Premium Member
18,883 Posts
I use the RCBS universal hand primer tool also. I have two on the bench, one set up for large primers and 1 for small. Never had a problem. Many thousands of cases have been primed with these tools and not one trouble. As someone mentioned, are you sure you are completely removing the crimp and using the right small rifle insert in your tool? If you are using the station you mentioned, you may just be using the pocket head. That takes care of the depth but not necessarily the crimp. Time to add a swage tool to your press.

·
Registered
97 Posts
prep center

Played with one for a while and found it did not uniformly remove the crimp leading to similar problems you describe. Went back to the rcbs press mounted swager and problems went away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used the RCBS universal primer tool with both large and small primers for quite awhile, now, with zero issues. Occasionally I'll get one that doesn't line up properly and seats sideways, but that is less than 1% of the time. Mostly, causes problems if I've missed a crimped primer pocket. I've learned to go slow with the initial seating, and if it stalls, will try turning the case slightly. If still no-go, pull it out and swage the primer pocket.

BTW, you need to set up your swager carefully -- I ruined a couple of boxes of 5.56mm cases because it enlarged the pocket too much. Felt no resistance as I was priming, and could fully seat some primers by hand! RNGR3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts