M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SAI Supermatch built by Clint Fowler, due to aging eyes I added a Sadlak airborne scope mount, The issue is about every second thru fourth round the brass catches between the base of the mount and the oprod, I called Sadlak and they advised, to used a heavier weight bullet I was shooting 125 gr SMK with 40.5 gr 4064 so I changed to my standard 168 gr SMK with 41.7 gr of 4895 also tried Greek milsup FMJ and Federal 174 match with no changes hanging approx every 2nd 3Rd 4th and 5th round usually the first is shoot works fine, also changed clips with no change, and make sure I had grease in the upper rear of the receiver, due to they"Sadlak" had seen some issues with the bolt digging into the top rear receiver and some having debris in rear of receiver from not cleaning properly, I'v also used different brass with no change, I mainly use LC LR brass, only thing I can come up with is maybe a weakened or faulty extractor, that,s another issue I can't seem to get the oprod out of the rail on this SM for bolt removel to check bolt parts, and I don't want to damage this C Fowler built rifle but it functions perfect with out mount!!!.. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
There is a video on this site showing the use of flat bladed screw driver and small hammer that will permit you to remove op rod. If you follow the instructions you should not injure the rifle in any way. Place blade of driver between op rod/handle section and rear of receiver, give slight twist away from receiver, tap upward on lower edge of op rod with the hammer(brass or hard plastic hammer won't mar surface) and op rod will come out of the track. As for your other problems don't have any answers other than what you mention about the extractor. Is it GI extractor??

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
This is a very common problem when people install scopes.

The most common culprit is usually the screws/bolts that hold the scope rings to the mount; they should be on the left side of the receiver. The second most common problem is the ejector spring.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I had the same problem with the sadlak.

You can try reversing the rings, trimming your ejector spring, new ejector spring, I've heard of extractor mods but never went that route. For me a mount that's split in the middle like the ARMS was the ticket.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
With those low-clearance scope mounts it's usually 2 coils off the ejector spring. It wouldn't matter if it was a Standard or SM. Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using warne rings they have no exposed bolts or screws, so I dont think any reversal would help, but I will have to try shorten the spring as soon as I hear back from Sadlak, I want to hear if from them before I make any changes...thx for the advise

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Get some extra ejector springs, and a couple of extra ejectors.

Try cutting down the spring first 2 coils, then 3 and then one more, see if that helps.

If not look at the angle on the face of the ejector in the bolt face.

Take one of the extra ejectors and change the angle on the "nose" of it as to throw the case out more toward 90* to the right vs zero to 45 *... If that makes sense.

You are trying to throw the case more out to the right, vs UP and to the right...

·
Registered
588 Posts
It does my heart good to see the unity, brotherhood and fraternity of our common interests culminate into helping one another no matter how big or small, mundane or difficult. We always put our differences aside to assist another member of this very unique, rare and classic forum. M1 Garand, M14/M1A's have united us in many ways and in every way. I salute all of my M14 forum brothers and sisters and offer my most humble respect and gratitude. Semper Fi

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Men, NE450NO2 as of now the SM is throwing the spents, no more than 10 to 15 degrees from receiver, almost straight toward the front of the muzzle...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts