M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My prob is no matter what single/combination of shims I use, I cannot get a 5 oclock tighten up. Without any shims, my gas screw starts to tighten at 9 oclock.

I can get somewhat of a tighter gas cylinder if I use ALL 4 of the shims.

Is this ok?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The point of the lock tightening is to hold the front band in place. Sort of 'unitizing' it.

The threads are 20 per inch. Or .050 per full turn. You need 1/3 of a turn to get from 9 to 5, so ummm .017" or so. Use whatever it takes.

I made my own from a piece of sheet stainless, Half turn, .025". Snugged it up, then tapped the band back and forth to find it's best home.

Some day I may unitize it by tig welding it together. I'll first cut out some of the web between the holes in the band, make it peanut shaped. Then the shim, tighten, tap to adjust to my gun/bedding, then remove from stock and weld the inner side, where the web had been cut away. Weld won't show, unitization will be precise to my stock, like the rest of the bedding.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.