M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum,but really enjoy all the information here. I'm probably a bit premature in asking this question, but it's been in my mind for a long time.

I have a Springfield Armory M1A, purchased around 1991, national match barrel. It's not my trusty old M14 but I love it anyway.

Here's my question, at risk of offending the competition shooters and purists, I have been thinking very strongly about mounting a scope on my rifle. Are there any tips or suggestions here about which mounts to use? I've pretty much narrowed down the type of scope I want, at least it will have to have a mildot reticle. But, I know nothing of what type of mount to use. A gunsmith will do the installation, not fumble fingers here.

I want to shoot some long range stuff and can't see well enough anymore to go past 400 meters or so. I shot 450m with the open sights 44 years ago, but that was then.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I own a Sadlak, gen 3 Springfield, another Brookfield type design, the old Basset, and the new Bassett high mount Picatinniy. The one I prefer and the only one I use now is the Bassett Picatinny. The scope mounted on it is seriously heavy, but the system holds up with no problem.

We tested the repeatability of the mount on one of my buddies rifle with Bassett mount. We shot, and dismouned the scope/mount a few times and shot after each re-mount, and the zeros held to within a minute. The repeatability is good enough for most shooting except for benchrest and F-class.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Your going to get a bunch of answers on this one. I have used the Arms mount and Sadlak steel. The Sadlak wins hands down. I feel it is a more solid design and their is more room for proper ejection of the empty case. I have read plenty of good reviews on the basset mounts, but I deffinetly think the Sadlak or SEI mounts are more appealing to the eye, whether they are better I can't say. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hear nothing but praise about bassett high picatinny. I personally dont own one, but when I finally find a budget scope that i can proudly own (pretty hard) ill be grabbing the bassett.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the Sadlak steel mount with a Leupold Mk 4 on it. But if I had to do it over again I would go with a Basset Picatinny low or high mount depending on your scope and stock and type of cheek piece. No custom fitting is required and you can easily take it off the rifle to clean it without too much re-zeroing and torque wrench drama.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I gambled with an ARMS 18 mount with QD ARMS 22 low rings. Really got lucky with my install as some of the SA receivers don't take well to this mount. Love mine because it is one of the lowest mounts available AND it looks like it belongs on the rifle, not just an add on.

Whatever you do, don't get a 3rd generation Springfield mount. WAY more trouble than you need to deal with. The Basset, Sadlak, Smith Ent. even the new 4th gen Springers have all made good reviews among the scope shooters. You can probly go for looks and fit if you stick with the good ones. Figure out which scope you like and back engineer to clear the handgaurd.

Here's my ARMS adventure... may be of some help.
http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=87750

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an Arms,Sadlak,an a Smith mounted on rifles in various configs of scopes an rings an love them all just depends on what appeals to you more.The arms I have had a couple of hangups with spent brass but trimming the extractor spring cured that.The others cant complain at all bout them.Just stick with a steel mount an your good to go.
Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got the McCann, and have had no trouble with it. It mounts in the standard fashion plus stripper clip attachment (as many of the others do). I do wish I could see the irons through the rails though; with a bit more design they could have managed it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I hope you don't get confused with all the responses.Here's another one. I have both the Sadlak and Bassett. The reason being you can take them off and remount them and not be far off zero.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Scope mount

Bassett for sure. About half the price of the Sadlak and much easier to remove and/or re-attach w/o any modifications to the rifle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all who answered, so far. All good suggestions and tips. Looks like the Bassett is most favored. Now to find a good affordable scope.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Look at the Nikon Monarch (~$400) or Prostaff (~$100 to $200) lines. They are really nice scopes for the money. I have a Monarch on my flat top AR 15 now and it replaced a Leupold Vari-X. I put a Prostaff on my Marlin Camp 9. Both are perfect for the type of events I shoot with them (pins & plates at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Basset all the way with a Center point scope ($70) at Walmart. I've been using six different scopes and the Center point is my favorite. Good glass and very rugged. I know it's only $70 bucks but it goes on before my $350-600 dollar scopes. Plus why not buy a cheaper scope first while you learn to get it right and really know what you want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SA 3rd Gen scope mount

I'm a new member of this forum and am curious why the 3rd gen. SA mount is not recommended? I bought a new M1A standard from my Father-In-Law that came with this mount but I haven't yet shot the rifle. I did mount a 3-9X40 scope to the mount but have yet to zero.
The block that takes the rear screw for this mount replaces the stripper clip. There is also a small roll pin sticking out of the center of this block about a 1/4". I don't anticipate using a scope for anything except for verifying accuracy. My intention is to shoot matches with the M1A. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Racine

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Sadlak...Never let me down quality. Leupold 6x42T
This combo is tough, secure, low light friendly, waterproof, accurate, good eye relief, tasty with raspberry jam, and deadly to ferel hogs.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Bassett mounts have been great for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts