M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a friendly reminder to PRINT OUT and laminate all of your reference material. Once the electricity goes out, you wont have access to online material, apps on your phone or computers/tablets.

I know there are exceptions with portable solar panels charging your electronics, but nothing beats being able to pull out manuals that you have prepared for food gathering, fire starting, water purification, and the countless other scenarios. Keep them in an old school binder and you can stack them alongside the rest of your favorite reading material.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea of how to vids & a laptop to play them on. Doesn't take much solar to charge up a laptop.
Agreed that its MUCH more convenient. Buuuuut, its a form of failure that will most likely happen, and isnt as reliable (Post SHTF)

Not saying that paper backup isnt easily lost/destroyed either. But having both forms of information would be ideal.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I actually have books! What I would mostly need is how much tincture of iodine to put in 10 gallons of water and things like that. I used to carry data on what ground to air symbols mean what, the things you were supposed to make out of logs etc to be seen from the air, but that's pretty much gone by. How to make a 4 figure deadfall, that was a good one since it's not something I tend to practice.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
I like the idea of how to vids & a laptop to play them on. Doesn't take much solar to charge up a laptop.
what he said....

but, YES. Having it ALREADY in a binder and in document protectors or laminated is a very good idea.

Thank you OP, for putting another thought to play....ENTERTAINMENT

Now I am going to see now long my low current TVs and whatever can play SQUIDBILLIES. Just two episodes will do me for a while.

I would think a low current TV and a laptop would draw less current that using a DVD player.

I DO have one of those trucker / airplane DVD players that will work too, but the screen is so small a group would find it hard to enjoy.

Gotta have my SQUIDBILLIES, MAN SHOW, FAMILY GUY, ROBOT CHICKEN ect...ect...Seth McFarlane/Green RULE !!!

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
There are plenty of things best written down like recipes. But other things best viewed via video like dissembly & assembly of firearms. Especially subassemblies that aren't normally taken apart as part of cleaning.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
I actually have books! What I would mostly need is how much tincture of iodine to put in 10 gallons of water and things like that. I used to carry data on what ground to air symbols mean what, the things you were supposed to make out of logs etc to be seen from the air, but that's pretty much gone by. How to make a 4 figure deadfall, that was a good one since it's not something I tend to practice.
Sweets...I hear ya. Just recently I had to reeducate myself on how to tie a strangle snare. Now, I forgot it again.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
...and if you have small / medium / or large kids in your surival group they are going to get bored pretty quickly after all the water is purified and the skins are scraped.

When they are bored is when they will start to get under foot. That is when a good DVD will be a life saver and also a good escape from their current dreary existance.

As for the men, who wouldn't like to watch "girls on trampolines" for a few minutes out of each day.

As for the women, I am sure there are good sandwich-making videos out there.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
There are plenty of things best written down like recipes. But other things best viewed via video like dissembly & assembly of firearms. Especially subassemblies that aren't normally taken apart as part of cleaning.
For me, low tech printed firearms manuals for sure. Schematic diagrams. That's a given.

5,445 Posts
Different opinions in here... easily broken down into two groups. The travelers and the farmers. Those planning on bugging out and those planning to hunker down.

My maps and reference material are laminated and secured in a waterproof container. I shall have little to no electronics with me when I go "travelling".

Suum cuique

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'd have to say that having important things on paper would become very important in the event of a CME or EMP event. Although I place the probability of such an event on the low end of the scale, it is a possibility, and unless your electronics are contained in Faraday Cages or properly grounded if/when the event happens, they won't be good for much, regardless of the power supply-which in the case of solar panels, inverters, and charge controllers may be disabled too. Just sayin'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts