M14 Forum banner

Priming.

828 24
Priming a few boxer cases this morning with Federal 210Ms. Did a couple of batches of berdan yesterday using Tula 7.62 Ns. I use the same tool for both, RCBS universal. I like this priming tool a lot because there is no need for different shell holders and after some getting used to, you can tell if the primer pocket is worn or working well. Whatta Hobby!

Audio equipment Gas Machine Musical instrument accessory Metal
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Art, I have tried a number of hand priming tools and they did worked OK. A friend told me about the RCBS bench priming tool so I bought one. I never looked back.

I installed a set of threaded inserts into the bench top so I can remove the priming tool if I want more space.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I use the same RCBS Universal hand primer ...as you can "feel" the tightness of setting the primer. Not all primers and brass primer pockets are equal in exact size. I wear golf gloves to help my old hands when priming several hundred at a time.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
All that brass should improve the signal on the Hi-Freq. 😁 I use hand-prime too. I like to 'feel' for the primer pocket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have one of these mounted to my bench. It has good feel to it. Especially good for seating the hard to seat metric Ginex primers since the USA is more busy gouging primer buyers than making primers.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have one of these mounted to my bench. It has good feel to it. Especially good for seating the hard to seat metric Ginex primers since the USA is more busy gouging primer buyers than making primers.

I’ve been trying to find large rifle primers for a while. If I do find them they either want third party paying or they just want too much. Same thing for powder.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Used the RCBS hand held primer for some time until the plastic piece that held the tray in place split. Could not get a replacement part from RCBS. So I went with the Forester hand held. I'm a lefty and the RCBS was a dream to use. The Forester is built like a tank and is uncomfortable to use with my left hand. Wish I had gotten the universal RCBS. Oh well maybe I need to build up my right hand. Cheers CWO

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I’ve been trying to find large rifle primers for a while. If I do find them they either want third party paying or they just want too much. Same thing for powder.
Do you have any primers to trade? A while back I posted in a forum Trade section to swap a brick of small pistol I had for a brick of small rifle. I stated LOCAL ONLY. A forum member responded and met me at a local store and we swapped primers.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Some years ago, purchased a rather expensive primer tool from Sinclair but long ago gave up on it and depend now on my Dillon 550B unit to prime my brass. I have used it for years and can tell from the pressure needed to seat the primer whether it is a proper seating of the primer. So far has worked out fine with my reloads.

·
Premium Member
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Used the RCBS hand held primer for some time until the plastic piece that held the tray in place split. Could not get a replacement part from RCBS. So I went with the Forester hand held. I'm a lefty and the RCBS was a dream to use. The Forester is built like a tank and is uncomfortable to use with my left hand. Wish I had gotten the universal RCBS. Oh well maybe I need to build up my right hand. Cheers CWO
RCBS replaced the plastic parts in mine at no charge. All I did was write a letter, not many do that anymore, told them what was wrong and gave them my address and phone number and asked for their advice. They sent me two of each sm and lg.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
RCBS replaced the plastic parts in mine at no charge. All I did was write a letter, not many do that anymore, told them what was wrong and gave them my address and phone number and asked for their advice. They sent me two of each sm and lg.
RCBS has fantastic customer service. Just email them or call and leave a message. They'll get back to you in a couple of days.

However, their quality has started to wain in the past few years unfortunately IMO. The replacement parts I've received have been of lesser quality metal, almost like pot metal and tend to not last, even the plastic parts are made less durable. I finally replaced my .223 and 30/06 dies with Hornady and have been happy I've done so. The RC press I have has been a tank and never given me any issues. Of course, I've had it for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A letter. What's that ? Goodness I suppose I'll have be break a pen and paper out. Thanks for the heads up I'll see if it works for me. I still have the rest of the primer in good shape. Great. CWO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello I guess I’m late on this thread but I apologize. In the beginning you said you were priming berdan primed cases? I just recycled 40 pounds of them for the price of the brass because I did not know they were reloadable. Can someone point me in the direction of how to do this? I have been reloading for 20 years but I never found a way to do this. I guess I missed it. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hello I guess I’m late on this thread but I apologize. In the beginning you said you were priming berdan primed cases? I just recycled 40 pounds of them for the price of the brass because I did not know they were reloadable. Can someone point me in the direction of how to do this? I have been reloading for 20 years but I never found a way to do this. I guess I missed it. Thanks in advance for any help.
PITA and I'm not sure why, but hey, if you've got the time..........

·
Premium Member
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very easy to do. They have been advertised as non-reloadable for years for some weird reason. The main problem today is finding the correct berdan primers. I use an RCBS berdan decapping tool and it works like a charm. I prime with berdan primers using the same tool as boxers. I prefer the berdan because of the two flash hole rather than the boxer's one. Whatta Hobby!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts