M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to reloading. A guy at the range said that he substitutes all primers with CCI BR primers.

I thought load data was very specific and that all the components are working together and you should not change anything. Or if you do you need to start at the bottom and work back up for safety.

Are primers interchangeable? Will any large rifle primer work in the published load data. Or should you always use the primer published in the spec?

Thanks

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Although primers will fit in the same pocket and most manufacturers will switch, I wouldn't try switching primers made for a specific purpose. Some primers, for example, are softer than others and may contribute to other problems. For sure do not interchange regular primers with magnum primers. I hope this is what you were looking for, if not I'm sure there will be other replies.

-

·
Registered
9,144 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Federal is on the right track with his post. As long as the load recipe calls for a "large rifle" sized primer, you can alternate between brands and not have any issues in terms of pressures. Reloaders switch out all the time to find the one that gives the best accuracy with a specific load. However, there can be other issues to consider such as will a primer with a softer cup be adviseable if shooting the round in a semi-auto rifle. For the M1A, I think most reloaders shy away from Federal brand primers because they are so soft but I don't there are very many, myself included, who contend that you have to use CCI either. I've used Winchester large rifle primers for thousands of my M1A loads without ANY issues.

Very important to take note of what Federal said, if your recipe calls for a "large rifle", don't substitute "magnum large rifle" instead. Although both are the same size, the magnum primer generates more flash thus could increase chamber pressures.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
different brands of primer of the same size produce different ignition. if you swap out primers, it is adviseable to drop your load a couple of tenths and work it back up. in other words, a Win LR primer, and a CCI LR primer, and a Federal LR primer are not all created equal. there have been studies that have proven they produce a different amout of flame, higher and lower amounts of pressure, and the flame they produce is of different duration, and this all affects how the powder ignites, and chamber pressures!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
different brands of primer of the same size produce different ignition. if you swap out primers, it is adviseable to drop your load a couple of tenths and work it back up. in other words, a Win LR primer, and a CCI LR primer, and a Federal LR primer are not all created equal. there have been studies that have proven they produce a different amout of flame, higher and lower amounts of pressure, and the flame they produce is of different duration, and this all affects how the powder ignites, and chamber pressures!
Not to mention the changes in accuracy ! I've seen up to a third of an inch.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
magnum primers used here................

I've been using magnum primers in my M1 and M1A loads for 20+ years and they've work just fine for me. My loads charges changed very little from when using standard primers and was mostly done for accuracy reasons. Why would a magnum primer be a no-no when working up a load?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I've been using magnum primers in my M1 and M1A loads for 20+ years and they've work just fine for me. My loads charges changed very little from when using standard primers and was mostly done for accuracy reasons. Why would a magnum primer be a no-no when working up a load?
Primers are powder-dependent. Slower-burning powders may require magnum primers in order to get a better burn at the moment of ignition. Magnum primers burn quite a bit hotter than their non-magnum counterparts.

A magnum primer likely would not made a significant difference in ignition. However, the primer, powder, and bullet makers spend millions of dollars in research, looking for the safest loads that they can publish. They maintain very tight parameters in their recipes, and they wouldn't likely publish a load if there were a remote chance of over-pressure.

I also load for .44 magnum and .357 magnum. I happen to like WW296 powder. However, the powder just doesn't burn as completely when using non-magnum primers.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Primers are powder-dependent. Slower-burning powders may require magnum primers in order to get a better burn at the moment of ignition. Magnum primers burn quite a bit hotter than their non-magnum counterparts.

A magnum primer likely would not made a significant difference in ignition. However, the primer, powder, and bullet makers spend millions of dollars in research, looking for the safest loads that they can publish. They maintain very tight parameters in their recipes, and they wouldn't likely publish a load if there were a remote chance of over-pressure.

I also load for .44 magnum and .357 magnum. I happen to like WW296 powder. However, the powder just doesn't burn as completely when using non-magnum primers.
I understand those facts and have for some time. I also understand that manufacturers are liability driven and that being said are EXTREMELY cautious in our litigious society. I guess one of the things about 'rolling your own' is to become as educated as possible as to the science of reloading as well as the mechanical function of reloading.

Being aware of high pressure signs (flattened primers, flowing primers, punctured primers, differences in report, differences in recoil, how far cases are ejected, accuracy deterioration................you get the idea!) and keeping a GOOD record of your loading history are critical to this possibly dangerous endeavor.

When I first started reloading I gleaned my knowledge from some fairly prominent guys in my area so I didn't just jump in and start changing and trying different things without some expert guidance. I also made mistakes that I've learned from, but also learned from the experience of others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rifle Primers are a Little "Taller than Pistol Primers are they not? I have interchanged the two on revolvers but not on Auto rounds for fear of Slam-Fire issues.
I'd hate to be doing "In and Outs" and Shoot my foot off, because I couldn't wait on Natchez, that'd be Hard to explain at Hunt Camp. I'd be afraid they'd lock up my guns and give me a Red Ryder and a Station 51 Walkie Talkie.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Here's another link...

And the Full article:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Rifle Primers are a Little "Taller than Pistol Primers are they not? I have interchanged the two on revolvers but not on Auto rounds for fear of Slam-Fire issues.
I'd hate to be doing "In and Outs" and Shoot my foot off, because I couldn't wait on Natchez, that'd be Hard to explain at Hunt Camp. I'd be afraid they'd lock up my guns and give me a Red Ryder and a Station 51 Walkie Talkie.
Ahh resurrected a 10 year old thread, but still relevant.

Reactions: FattCracker

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking at "Restocking" my dwindling supply of Primers and found that the World had Lost its Mind.. Smalls if you can find them $125 a 1000.. $500 for 5000
I about had Heart Failure.. I know it has been a couple years but Just a Minute Now..
I'm Shooting up a Fortune Neighbors... I thought my 45 LC was a "Bad Habit" but it's a 22LR compare to my .40 or 9mm Burning Habit..
What the Devil in Blue Jeans are We supposed to Shoot Now??? Slingshots?
That was the Base of My "Resurrecting".. I didn't want to Go to the Poor House buying Primers.. My Apologies.

FattCracker

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Small Pistol and Small Rifle are the exact same size:

OD: 0.1764 -.0020 inch
HT: 0.115 + .011 inch

Large Pistol and Large Rifle are different in diameter and height:

Large Pistol:
OD: 0.2120 -.0020 inch
HT: 0.115 +.011 inch

Large Rifle
OD: 0.2130 -.0025 inch
HT: 0.123 +.013 inch

As you can see, there is overlap on the large pistol and large rifle, and substituting large rifle for large pistol will not always result in a visually noticeable (high primer) or a loose fit condition. And, slam fire issues are not the only possible problems from substituting rifle for pistol. You will get higher pressures. With revolvers there is some venting at the cylinder gap and the risk of injury is less, but substituting rifle for pistol primers is not recommended.

A guy at the range said that he substitutes all primers with CCI BR primers.
". . . . a guy at the range . . . " is not a reliable source of information. His information is a lot like Wikipedia, sometimes a good starting point, but often complete rubbish.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Ah heck Billy Bob, just stuff anything in till ya caint get no mo in, all them recymendations is just lawyer talk...🥴

1 - 16 of 16 Posts