M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this same post at BR.com to get all the opinions I can. What brand of primers do you use and why. I am almost out of my CCI SR primers and will need more soon. The store is almost always out of primers so I have to make an extra trip. Lots of (others brands) still on the shelf.
I have been using CCI for lots of years with no problems.
What brand and why ??? Nor Cal Mikie.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have used Fed.210Ms for years, No Problems. Winchester LRs, no problems. CCI 200s, No Problems. In Chronograph Tests for the 600yd Line the Feds came out on Top 8)

·
Banned
611 Posts
I am in agreement with trungsi I think. By on top I experienced a bit more velocity with the standard fed's. But I have found the wins to be more consistent. It could just be the difference in altitude between me and him. They are all good. Just make sure they are seated correctly and stick with what is working for you.
I PREFER winchester but that's not to say I would turn down a free case of cci's. I am pretty turned off by federal brass and it may bias my feelings about their other products like primers. I just don't buy anything from them anymore. Their brass sucks for reloading any number of times.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Primers CCI or ??

m14dan. I got 1000 once fired Winchester .308 and 1000 rem .223 from Cheyenne Brass. All look good. No mil. crimp. All nice and clean. Both have FC headstamps. Easy to resize and trim. Thought about different primers because I was running low. Have used CCI for lots of years with no problems. Pistol and rifle. Thought about trying something else just to see what, if any, dirfference I come up with. Nothing wrong with a little change once in a while. Nor Cal Mikie.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have tried Win, Fed, and CCI (Match and regular ) My rifle seems to be the most consistant with CCI #200 and IMR 4064. Winchester would be a close second. Never did have much success with Fed. even in the match stuff. As far as brass goes I have great luck with IMI match .

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always used Winchester primers with success.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Always used WW Standard in my '06 and 7.62 loads with pull down brass, never changed these past 10 years, never gave me reason to.

Keep the primer holes clean and seat them properly and you should have no problems with the major brands.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use Fed 215 ,LC 69 cases, 180 grain NBP, 44.7 RL 15. It is alittle hot, 2653 fps. I'm going down to 42.5 grains. Right now I'm shooting about an inch with my SA basic with a GI syn stock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been using both Win. LR and CCI #34. The CCI #34s seems a little more consistent to me, but I'm the biggest variable.

Often I'll chose a primer that more closely matches the primer pocket in size. Some primer pockets are sized slightly different.

Joe A.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For my sniper rifle (Rem 700 in .308) I use CCI BR2 or Federal 210M.

For hunting I use CCI standard, Remington, Federal.

When I had an AR15, I used Federal SR.

RePete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.