M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have lots of primers but was wondering if anyone has seem much of a difference between large rifle primers of different brands as far as pressure/velocity? I do not have a chronograph.

My go to is CCI but also have lots of winchester primers

I know that mil spec and magnum primers are different. But how do they respond given the same load with respect to pressure/velocity?

I'm asking as have a good stock of large rifle and also LR magnum primers for my belted magnums. I have not found any of the mil spec large rifle which I am told has a hotter spark like the magnum primers.

What is a general rule from going from a LR to LR magnum primer for powder?

Also, in a pinch how will LR work in a magnum case and how about loadings?

Yes, I know every gun is different and it is an experiment so be careful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Winchester large rifle standard primers generally produce somewhat higher velocities than do other brands.

Magnum cases do not necessarily require magnum primers. Powder types are the determining factor, not the case size or caliber. Look to the reloading books for guidance about whether magnum primers or regular primers are required for a given load. Magnum primers will generally result in slightly higher velocities and also pressure.

As for brand... and yes I know that CCI's are the most favored of all, but..... in my testings of various loads/cartridges CCI's have rarely produced the best chronograph numbers. Always decent but rarely the best. With the exception of their bench-rest primers for .223's I don't use them. Federals (especially their match grade), Remingtons, and Winchesters generally produce better chronograph numbers for me.

But then again... I'm sure many other opinions will not match mine.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get a good reloading manual and read it. All of these issues are discussed.

In general

IMR type powders will use a CCI LR or SR primer

Ball powders will require a CCI LRM or SRM primer

The "Mil Spec" primer is a magnum primer with a 1/3 price increase. If you have nightmares about your semi auto blowing up and killing everyone, use the CCI "Mil Spec" or get a bolt gun.
Otherwise, seat the primer deep / properly and avoid the dreaded "Slam Fire"

In medium power loads as is often used for 30-06 and .308 semi auto rifles, you can safely go from LR to LRM and avoid serious pressure issues. But always load a few with a 10% powder reduction and build up your new load.

Please read a good reloading manual or three! All of this is covered extensively.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Have used Win and Rem primers for years. I have 1 mag left a 7mm STW, have used Mag primers, Win LR., is what I use now. Work up a few loads, after reading in couple load books, Sierra, and Hornady, are my load manuals. I also asked and explained to veteran loaders, and shot with them. They were very helpful in teaching me, telling me what they had done. As stated in other statements on this subject, start with a lower gr. load and work up. Not all rifles shot the same.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have shot BR2, 200, 210M, 210, #34, and WLR. I have not shot any of the WLR recently due to issues others were having (not worth my time to try to fix/text their QC).

With my limited loading for the 14 type:

I agree that CCI does not produce the tightest chrono #s. The best chrono numbers have came from 210M/210 for me.

I use 210M/210 for some loads, I feel it has a little more umph than the cci primer…and I am using it with a ball powder in a full case.

I like CCI primers. The groups I shoot in my milder loads use these. I was targeting a specific velocity and felt this primer worked best.

Everyone likes different things…just experiment a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.