M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of doing some reloading. I use a Dillon RL550B.

I've come to the realization that (1) I don't enjoy hen-pecking primers and (2) it wastes a lot of time.

I'm looking for an easier way to fill primer tubes.

I've seen the Dillon RF100, but I'm hesitant because (1) it's so pricey, and I don't hate hen-pecking $350 worth, and (2) even the Dillon fans on Brian Enos' site complain that it's finicky with small primers, which is most of what I shoot.

I've seen the Frankford/Midway Vibra-Prime, and I would buy one in a heartbeat, but it seems to be discontinued.

I guess I could make my own, but that seems more strenuous than just continuing to hen peck.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I don't enjoy pecking primers either. The only thing I did was to buy five primer tubes for large and small. That way once I get started I don't have to stop, fill the tube and then dump into the 550B. I also load in lots of 500 so the five tubes works just the way I like. Once I'm done I refill all five and set them aside until I load again. It's still a pain in the wazoo but it does speed things up.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Wayne.

I've given up on finding a Vibra-Prime, and the more I think about it, the less willing I am to part with $350+ for a Dillon RF100.

I just ordered three more small primer pick-up tubes, and maybe I can convince my five-year-old that it's fun to pick up primers...

I'm also looking for a cheap Lee Auto Prime kit, so that I can make my own primer filler out of the tray. This seems to be pretty easy, if I can find the parts for cheap...

·
Registered
57 Posts
are you looking for the round ones, i just broke my lee auto prime and of course when i got the new one it was the square ones and none of the parts will switch over, might be able to make you a cheap deal lol. that is if you just need the trays.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you looking for the round ones, i just broke my lee auto prime and of course when i got the new one it was the square ones and none of the parts will switch over, might be able to make you a cheap deal lol. that is if you just need the trays.
This is perfect. I do need just the trays.

It would be a waste for me to buy an entire Lee Auto Prime kit, because I would just discard most of it...

I'm going to send you a PM right now. Let's make a deal...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi guys,

I've seen the Dillon RF100, but I'm hesitant because (1) it's so pricey, and I don't hate hen-pecking $350 worth, and (2) even the Dillon fans on Brian Enos' site complain that it's finicky with small primers, which is most of what I shoot.

Used the Dillon RF100 for years. It takes a bit of learning to get it tuned but then it is easy as pie, fast and useful. I hate messing with primers but with the RF100 it is done loading every time I need refills. That's what I wanted and that is what it does. I do have to mess with it once in a while to knock a primer loose or flip an uncooperative one. Takes no (zero) time or effort.

I do all primers sizes by the way.

Costly? Yep but over the years it has paid for itself in time and frustration relief many times over -- and will continue to for many more years.

You choice of course on your time versus money.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You choice of course on your time versus money.
Yeah, that kind of investment just doesn't make sense to me — I don't shoot more than a couple thousand rounds a year.

I now have several extra primer tubes, and shadowbk7's old Lee trays, so I should be able to put something together...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts