M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Doesn't get any better?

Nice Rifle, and really is top for what it is. Complete and hasn't been sitting in a basement neglected.

I wish I had my boxes from eons ago but never thought some cardboard would be worth anything. Now I have a shelf of boxes.:D

· Registered
1,892 Posts
I should of bought a dozen. When they are new the finish looks fantastic. Too bad Colt does not have an in house service package that could reapply the original type finish.

I hope they get the coin for it. A nice Rifle like that, I don't know it could get that much.

How many are out in the wild just like it? I would think very few.

· Registered
915 Posts
I bought an AR-15 for about $700 about 2 years ago. It does not say Colt on the side of it but it works great and it shoots 7.62 x 39. Collectors can be so silly in the prices they pay on items.

· Registered
10,190 Posts
Bought a SP1 around 1977 for $400
out the door
Colt was pretty much the only game in town for AR's back then. It left a longtime ago _
I think an SP1 lower with a current
upper & barrel would be sweet
BTW $400 back then was like $ 2500 today

· Registered
3,159 Posts
Collectors can be so silly in the prices they pay on items.
Collectors are what drives the market and set the standard.

Is a Hemi Cuda really worth over a million dollars? Not to me, it was a $3-4,000 car when new and probably in '76-78 with gas shortage some probably went for $500.

More than one person wants something, it's going up.

· Registered
10,190 Posts
My 77' had the serrations and the bottom of the bolt carrier was open
Not M16 style .

· Registered
1,095 Posts
It's funny. AR's are great but they just don't do much for me. I have one and I do like it but it's no M14.
I don’t get excited about them, I never did. I like the absence of a pistol grip and I adore really long rifles with really long sights so the M14 really delivers for me. Having said that, a regular old A2 is the rifle I know I’m trained to get down with and that will always be my first choice. A little vanilla to be sure, but it suits my personality and skill set well.🙂

· Registered
10,687 Posts
Yeah I bult mine too on a Spud Lower. Can't tell them apart unless you look at the engraving!
I have Offy, Edlebrock, Fenton, Wieand & Holley aluminum intakes on my engines instead of GM.
I have Speed Pro, Weisco, KB & TRW pistons in them.
I have Clevite & Federal Mogul bearings & Fel Pro gaskets.
What the hell is a Colt reciever to anything???
Kinda like the Winchester mentality. If that's what you like go for it but none that worth the extra money to me, my money too damn hard to come by for that!

· Registered
2,137 Posts
The SP1 just does not do anything for me. When the A2s came out in mid-80's I fell in love w/ that rifle. But when I got the M14 -civilian is now my rifle.

· Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only thing I dont like about the SP1 is the twist of 1-12. Cant shoot anything heavier than 55grs in it. I shot some 62gr ball in it and it key holed at 25 yards!

However my ArmaLite A2 with its 9 twist will handle the heavier weights if I need them.

I will keep my SP1 as it has something all its own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts