M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to share the latest batch of USGI stocks I have been working on from my refinishing bench. I have an inventory of some elite fully striped stocks; however, the stocks below are a combination of salvage stocks from LRB that I picked up months ago and a few of my Fred's mid-range stocks. I love the striped stocks, but ALL of the stocks have character under all the grime. All stocks were fully stripped, any bad dents/dings repaired, re-stained and finished with teak oil. I should start taking before and after as some were challenging, but it is hard to tell that now. I know some like to stay 100% traditional [and I respect that] but some of the stocks needed work to bring back to life and I am trying some non-traditional stain combinations. Hope you enjoy......

Here are some pics with a little commentary:

"Around the Horn" - Left to Right:

1. Big Red Winchester [Birch] - light tobacco brown and vintage amber
2. Big Red Winchester [Birch]- light tobacco brown and vintage amber - Aerial P marking
3. H. Sacks & Sons[Birch] - half moon crimp, DOD and Aerial P, Birch - finished with tobacco and light vintage amber - will make a nice stock for someone working with a budget.
4. Big Red - H. Sacks & Sons [Birch] - This is the second one I have done in "Sniper Green" - I mix 4 different stew mac stains and with the right stock grain get a "different green" with amber that pops in the grain. I originally did this color for a hunting stock. Sold the 1st one fast and decided to put it on this Big Red. Pictures do not really capture the look.
5. H. Sacks & Sons [Birch] - replacement stock the ones that look and feel very sturdy! This one has a combination of tobacco brown, vintage amber and cherry red. Stock has outstanding grain full length and will be a great looking stock when locked up to a barreled receiver!
6. Big Red Winchester [Birch] - darker finish with tobacco brown and vintage amber. A brute of a stock that will look great on any barreled receiver.
7. Big Red Winchester [Birch - eagle stamp in trigger] "Sold" - finished with tobacco brown and vintage amber. Stock has beautiful grain that finished out excellent. This stock will be living in Texas!
8. This one could be H. Sacks & Sons, WW, SA or TRW - no definitive marking under butt plate but has half moon crimp and DOD & Serif P. Another average stock but finished nice with tobacco brown and light vintage amber - another nice stock for someone with a budget.

A view of the main stock area:

Another view:

Thanks - M1Army

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
8. This one could be H. Sacks & Sons, WW, SA or TRW - no definitive marking under butt plate but has half moon crimp and DOD & Serif P.
Can't say for certain but this stock was likely made at Springfield Armory or by S. E. Overton Co. for TRW.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Fine work! Thanks for sharing not only the pics, but also the color info for reference.

Reactions: M1Army

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
Nice work, and I know it was work.

Really tight look, thanks for sharing sir!

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
That's one fine looking group of stocks right there, wife and I both favor #7 but all of them turned out incredibly nice.

·
Very Old Salt
1,904 Posts
Great work, that green is definitely unique!

On #3, is there the trademark 'O' under the buttplate? I'm still a newb but it definitely looks like it has the lines and dimensions of a Sacks stock. (Of course I'm probably wrong though)

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great work, that green is definitely unique!

On #3, is there the trademark 'O' under the buttplate? I'm still a newb but it definitely looks like it has the lines and dimensions of a Sacks stock. (Of course I'm probably wrong though)
Flipmaster - This stock is actually a H. Sacks & Sons, no butt plate mark but all other markings identify it. I corrected it in my original posting. I picked up the wrong line [one line off] in the worksheet I use to identify all my refinished stocks [I use the research from "Different" to make each identification]. Good eye on that one.... I say no more "newb."

Thanks, M1Army

·
Very Old Salt
1,904 Posts
Flipmaster - This stock is actually a H. Sacks & Sons, no butt plate mark but all other markings identify it. I corrected it in my original posting. I picked up the wrong line [one line off] in the worksheet I use to identify all my refinished stocks [I use the research from "Different" to make each identification]. Good eye on that one.... I say no more "newb."

Thanks, M1Army
Haha well thanks. I'm knee deep in stocks and have tons of H. Sacks & Sons stocks, many of them have thicker dimensions almost big red like. I too used Different's blog for identification

·
Registered
630 Posts
Those all look great. I'll be saving this thread for future reference.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
They're all beautiful but I am loving that green one!

·
Registered
49 Posts
BTW, I saw this photo the other day and was inspired. Your stocks are beautiful! I am actually working on another stock, a Springfield Armory (SA heel marked) replacement stock that came with my original H&R parts kit. I stripped it with acetone then steamed out a bunch of dents and some minor scratches. They popped right out. I read Gus Fischer's article and am going to rub some Tru oil, followed by light brown leather dye, followed by more Tru oil. I was planning to go the boiled linseed oil route until I started reading about rags spontaneously combusting. I'm bringing the BLO back to Home Depot!

M

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Fine work. I wish you had classes here in my neck of the woods.

Picture 3 is really well done. keep up the good work!

Bruce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts