M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prep my Gear in the following manner:
Tier one, tier two, tier three and tier four...

Tier one, is what I can carry on my person, in my pockets, on my belt.

Tier 2 is the addition of a vest, could be a lowprofile vest like a Filson or a 511, or a "combat" vest specifically designed to carry extra magazines.

Tier 3 is the addition of a backpack.
Now this backpack should not be too heavy, as you still might need to "manouvre aggressively".

Tier four is the "stuff" I can pack into a vehicle.
Now how you pack your Tier four stuff is very important.
You do not want bags/boxes of water, then bags of rice, then bags of canned meat, etc...

Each Tier four [T4] bag should be packed as a "complete" survival package, suitable for a certain number of days. How many days will depend on what food stuffs you have chosen. This "bag" should be light enough to be easily handled, say not more than 35 to 40 lbs. Each bag should have enough "stuff" water, food, cooking fuel,maybe a little extra ammo, etc. to supplement the primary equipment you have in your Tier three backpack.

This way, if something happens, and you can only grab one, or if you are lucky, a couple fo T4 bags, each bag has 100% of what it takes to survive. Each T4 bag is its own "survival system", with everything you need for the weight and bulk you are able to carry...

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
That Filson may be parafin impregnated

I prep my Gear in the following manner:
Tier one, tier two, tier three and tier four...

Tier one, is what I can carry on my person, in my pockets, on my belt.

Tier 2 is the addition of a vest, could be a lowprofile vest like a Filson or a 511, or a "combat" vest specifically designed to carry extra magazines. SNIP

That Filson may be parafin impregnated. Great for ducks, not so much for a firefight.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I've heard to break it down into threes. What do you need to survive three seconds, three minutes, three hours, days, weeks, months, etc. Start piling up the gear needed at each level and then decide what to put it in for transport if desired. Kind of similar to levels, but easier for me to visualize what gear/mindset I need to escalate myself to the next level. Someone told me you will be dead in three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food, although you'll be uncomfortable in less time without those things. I guess you could be dead in three seconds if your situation starts out with a gunfight that you lose. Shoot, move, communicate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.