M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A quick story to start things off:

When my grandpa returned home from Okinawa in 1946 he arrived in San Francisco and in addition to his sea bag he had with him 4 M1 rifles and 2 M1 carbines. He boxed them up and took them to the post office and mailed them back to himself in southern Idaho. When the packages arrived the only remaining gun was a single carbine so someone in the post office went home with brand new rifles & carbines. My grandpa figures separating the stock from the rifles to fit in a less conspicuous box would have helped.

Skip to today and I'm getting ready to ship off about $3k worth of parts to an M14 builder and I'm a little nervous sending it cross country especially in today's climate.

Which carrier do you trust and how do you package things to not draw undue attention to your valuable pieces?

Registered
A quick story to start things off:

When my grandpa returned home from Okinawa in 1946 he arrived in San Francisco and in addition to his sea bag he had with him 4 M1 rifles and 2 M1 carbines. He boxed them up and took them to the post office and mailed them back to himself in southern Idaho. When the packages arrived the only remaining gun was a single carbine so someone in the post office went home with brand new rifles & carbines. My grandpa figures separating the stock from the rifles to fit in a less conspicuous box would have helped.

Skip to today and I'm getting ready to ship off about $3k worth of parts to an M14 builder and I'm a little nervous sending it cross country especially in today's climate.

Which carrier do you trust and how do you package things to not draw undue attention to your valuable pieces?
I just send mine in a good quality rifle case. Either a Plano Gun-Guard roller case or a Pelican Vault, also a roller case. The Vault is a two gun case. All parts wrapped up so as not move to much. Also sent the stock which was wrapped. Last one was to Tony-Ben, came back all assembled. I shipped UPS, and he sent it back Fed Ex. Just make sure to insure it. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Registered
Y鈥檃ll are mighty trusting, or $3k don鈥檛 mean as much to you as me. I think I鈥檇 be hand delivering those parts myself. If they get lost and even if the shipper gives you a check for the $3000, WHERE IN THE HECK WILL YOU BUY THE REPLACEMENT PARTS? Gun parts, especially these high quality M14 parts that we covet are becoming difficult to find. That鈥檚 my $0.02.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Y鈥檃ll are mighty trusting, or $3k don鈥檛 mean as much to you as me. I think I鈥檇 be hand delivering those parts myself. If they get lost and even if the shipper gives you a check for the $3000, WHERE IN THE HECK WILL YOU BUY THE REPLACEMENT PARTS? Gun parts, especially these high quality M14 parts that we covet are becoming difficult to find. That鈥檚 my $0.02.
It gets even more complicated here in WA state since they have a quasi-registry for semi auto rifles and these parts were purchased before that went into effect. If I have to start over from scratch it won't be fun and I've been gathering these parts for 4 years.
Proximity plays a part in delivering in person; I could deliver to Tony Ben or even Ted Brown but not to someone on the east coast like Jon Wolfe...

Registered
Took me all of 3 months to find NIW or excellent rated TRW parts for my last build. If you know where to look or who to ask, they'll be there. This was at the start of the virus lockdown in March, but everything seemed to fall in place. Lot of forum members were selling at the right time for me. Last shipping cost for me was $120.00 to Oregon. Pretty much the same on the return. I have also shipped rifles and build kits across the country with no problem. UPS told me that anything insured to that amount always requires a signature at delivery. If you're really that concerned, you might need to drive there and deliver the kit yourself. Of course you might get in an accident on the way, or car gets stolen with said parts kit while dining which will not be covered by your auto insurance . . . . . . -Lloyd 馃嵒

Reactions: XM25Ren

Registered
It gets even more complicated here in WA state since they have a quasi-registry for semi auto rifles and these parts were purchased before that went into effect. If I have to start over from scratch it won't be fun and I've been gathering these parts for 4 years.
Proximity plays a part in delivering in person; I could deliver to Tony Ben or even Ted Brown but not to someone on the east coast like Jon Wolfe...
Parts are regulated in WA??? That is worse than California.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Parts are regulated in WA??? That is worse than California.

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The only way to get a semi auto rifle without being on the radar is to start with a receiver and build one. Thanks to Seattle passing I-1639 even 10/22s and M1 Garands are considered assault rifles. Officials claim they're not compiling a registry but they're not to be trusted as history has shown.
So if my parts disappeared I might want a complete rifle for expediency sake and then would would have to jump through hoops and end up on a list.

Registered
M1 gunner, I am in WA also and while its true that all semi auto rifles are now "assault" rifles, that doesnt affect how we ship stuff. Parts did not become NFA stuff yet.
You can ship that bunch of parts however you like, USPS, UPS, FedEx. I would personally not put anything of real value in the mail right now as they are just not on their A game at all, losing stuff right and left.
I am using FedEx right now, much easier, the same cost or less and more reliable.

Registered
I ship and receive rifles from Washington all the time. No problems have been encountered yet. If you already own the receiver you don't have to go through a WA background check again. Once you get it built, what you do about WA laws is up to you. Call or email me for more information.

Premium Member
To be honest with you guys, I have never shipped complete M14 build kits. The last rifle I had built was an XM25 and the parts were hand delivered to Jon Wolfe in North Carolina. With over a $7000.00 value I wasn't going to ship!
I have a build I would like Ted Brown to do, but I just can't bring myself to ship these expensive kits cross country.

REN

Registered
I鈥檓 not knocking the post office or FedEx. But UPS is piss poor. Don鈥檛 use them for sure. I think I鈥檇 use FedEx, if I couldn鈥檛 deliver them myself.

Registered
Get a shipping box and let everyone know your shipping something of value. Put fake look alikes in the box and send it........ Then take the real parts and give them to Steve Austin to personally courier them to the destination....

Anyone remember that episode of Six Million Dollar man

Registered
To be honest with you guys, I have never shipped complete M14 build kits. The last rifle I had built was an XM25 and the parts were hand delivered to Jon Wolfe in North Carolina. With over a $7000.00 value I wasn't going to ship!
I have a build I would like Ted Brown to do, but I just can't bring myself to ship these expensive kits cross country.

REN
Road Trip!

But maybe make an appointment. Maybe you can mow his lawn as he works for partial credit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts