M14 Forum banner

Preferred optic mounting option for socom 16

2378 Views 38 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  ryanj52
Hey guys decided to get back into the format after stepping back for a few years. My previous 16 had a CASM mount which I really enjoyed but I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on other mounts that are worth looking into so I don’t have to remove my rear site

Thanks for your advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
16,837 Posts
It does fit tight Ave you had any extraction issues?

No, but I haven't actually put a scope and rings on it. My Socom ejects to 2 o'clock with full power 175's and has not had an issue with the ARMS. On the other hand, my full size with the USGI barrel ejects closer to 1 o'clock and has occasionally had a hung case.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No, but I haven't actually put a scope and rings on it. My Socom ejects to 2 o'clock with full power 175's and has not had an issue with the ARMS. On the other hand, my full size with the USGI barrel ejects closer to 1 o'clock and has occasionally had a hung case.
Good to know sounds like it might be a pretty good fit for my rifle

Now just to find one lol but they still rarer than hens teeth?

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey guys just wanted to give you guys an update

Picked up my tanker really love the Woodstock. I also picked up a composite Springfield stock because I just couldn’t pass it up for the price

Do you guys have any thoughts on the Springfield fourth generation optics mount? One of my buddies has one in the Price is right

· Registered
60 Posts
I had an extremely out of spec receiver on my Socom. Every mount I used had me chasing my zero. Most just wouldn’t work. I did the Sadlak fit kit and was contacted by a rep after they received my measurements. They were concerned that I may have done it wrong so we went through it together over the phone to confirm that I had done it correctly and that my receiver is way off. That was a spendy venture as me being me I had to get the titanium version to boot. Really the only issue I had with that was that ejected cases would hit it so I really only liked having a red dot on it. Then I discovered the Casm steel version and haven’t looked back. No walking zero and I haven’t had 1 contact by ejected cases. No exact round count but I know it’s over 800 with that mount and everything is still solid. I know it’s a no go for most because it ditches the rear sight but I’m not a traditionalist so it wasn’t a problem for me.

· Premium Member
93 Posts
I had a socom and what I had on it was the Aimpoint compm5b it’s a red dot with ballistic calculations for the .308 and .223 built in. It has quick release mount and went well on the front rail. I sold my socom to fund my m21 and I’m selling the comp m5b on here not pushing my sale just happened to be exactly what I had on my socom.

and theSadlak airborne mount is really the only way to go for the side mount. I had a Springfield mount it’s trash compared to the Sadlak

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I had an extremely out of spec receiver on my Socom. Every mount I used had me chasing my zero. Most just wouldn’t work. I did the Sadlak fit kit and was contacted by a rep after they received my measurements. They were concerned that I may have done it wrong so we went through it together over the phone to confirm that I had done it correctly and that my receiver is way off. That was a spendy venture as me being me I had to get the titanium version to boot. Really the only issue I had with that was that ejected cases would hit it so I really only liked having a red dot on it. Then I discovered the Casm steel version and haven’t looked back. No walking zero and I haven’t had 1 contact by ejected cases. No exact round count but I know it’s over 800 with that mount and everything is still solid. I know it’s a no go for most because it ditches the rear sight but I’m not a traditionalist so it wasn’t a problem for me.
Yeah I had one of the aluminum versions

That one I sold with the rifle because I didn’t want to try to put that rear site back together

Then I bought one of the longer versions from another guy on here and it sat in my parts bin for a couple years eventually I sold it to a buddy who is building an EBR because he couldn’t find the sage mounting rail during the panic

Now I am regretting letting it go because I finally bought another S 16

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I had a socom and what I had on it was the Aimpoint compm5b it’s a red dot with ballistic calculations for the .308 and .223 built in. It has quick release mount and went well on the front rail. I sold my socom to fund my m21 and I’m selling the comp m5b on here not pushing my sale just happened to be exactly what I had on my socom.

and theSadlak airborne mount is really the only way to go for the side mount. I had a Springfield mount it’s trash compared to the Sadlak
The tanker version doesn’t have the scout rail upfront just the plastic top cover

· Registered
3,269 Posts
The Yankee (Forum member here, but doesn't visit much anymore) Dual Sight Mount is a mount I personally like, but it requires bedding of the receiver lugs, which is a process, not terribly difficult, but you have to do it. It has probably the best clearance if you want to shoot irons without removing the scope...

View attachment 496164

It looks a little weird to some, not for everybody for sure, but worth mentioning. it puts the scope lower than my Fulton 'Brookfield Type' mount with ARMS22 low rings, and the view is limited mostly by the scope's objective bell, which is something to consider as well.

It also centered better than either the Bassett on any of my receivers, or the brookfield type on my SAI.

For a lot of people, it's not a viable option, but it is an option :)
Yep, I don;t post hardly;(understatement), just come on and read once in a while. M-14 is too addictive.
No complaints on the mounts so far, even with a money back guarantee for any reason.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts