M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are some here that would take a Mini over an AR.
Could you list your reasons why, please?
Although I'm in the AR camp, and have owned Minis before, I am intrigued by those who still prefer the Ruger.
Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I prefer a Mini-14 over the AR package. After I burnt-out the barrel 8K-10K I installed another extra barrel cut to 16.5 and it works like a champ. I have plenty of 5, 10, 20, 30, and 40 in hand some factory some PMI. Do not need a AR. But if a AR is available I would use it. Just gotten used to the M1-Garand/ M-14 action. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would not mind having an AR. But my Mini's are nice, accurate and eat ANYTHING. Robust also...

Did I mention these Mini's get 1.5 MOA...and that's with Wolf Ammo..I would like to try some Black Hills and get the results 8O

Triggerman

·
Registered
49 Posts
In 1985 I was given a Mini SS. At the time I was short on cash and put a $40.00 Simons scope on it. The majority of the first five years it rode behind the seat of my pickup only coming out to pop ground hogs and coyotes at various distances. I dont ever recall cleaning it until I sold the truck it was riding in. I am not proud to admit that I abused the snot out of the weapon, but it sure handled it well. The stainless steel sure helped :D . I just feel the bolt mechanism is much better. This is the reason why I did not hesitate to buy a mint H&R M1 Garand and a M1A this year. My brother in law has a bunch of money wrapped up in a Colt AR15 that does not shoot any better than my Mini. JMHO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are all convincing reasons as far as I am concerned.
I think the Minis are cool. Especially, I like the rugged aspect of them. They are known for taking abuse. The fact that the action is like an M14, one of my alltime favorites, is also good.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
I ordered a MIni-14 Ranch in the early 1980's, just as they were announced. It's been outfitted with a Bushnell 3x9 ever since. The weapon has been used to plink, teach, hunt, and just shoot. My step-daughters think that they're great, too. Mine hasn't broken, or even choked, in well over 10,000 rounds of some truly questionable ammo, either. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have both but prefer the AR--Why?
The sights are much better on the AR and the egonomics IMHO are vastly superior. The Mini has a lot going for it I like the operating system and just like the feel of the rifle but if offered a choice in a SHTF situation, I'll grab my AR
(Assuming I can't grab my M1A :wink: )

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've had my Mini-14 since right before the Y2K election. I quickly found I can hit with it with factory FMJ ammo, but I also found out a 68gr BTHP handloaded to 2600fps with IMR4227 is more accurate.

I found out, in the course of just a few minutes, just how easy it is to field strip and clean.

Comparing the Mini-14 with the AR's, I've never used the latter preferring the former for feel and all. I found, in the gunshops, that not all AR's feel the same and I wound up being so picky I couldn't find a halfway affordable AR to suit me. And too, I'm not really into a rifle that reminds me of a cross between a Crossman air rifle and a Swiss Army knife.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Mini-14 used to be junk.... Until it was found that overheating from that cruddy wooden handguard is what was hurting the rifle. Once a synthetic handguard was poipped on it, that pretty much cured it.
I'd take a Mini anyday over an AR.
I also recommand the synthetic stock Mini-14, because they seem to be of somwhat better quality than the wooden stocks.
Now that the AW Ban is fried, PMI aftermarket magazines for the Mini-14
are available.
BTW, what's a good price on a synthetic stainless Mini-14?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go to www.deltaforce.com. They have PMI 40's.

http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/media/PMI_Mini14_Mags.jpg

Mini-14 Magazines by PMI, Inc.
Precision Steel Mini-14 Magazines • PMI stands for Precision Mag Industries. It also stands for flat out RELIABILITY. Their heat treated steel magazines are made to proper tolerances, meaning they work every time when called upon. Good reasons to be considered the industry's finest. These mags are "NEW" in the wrap.

Item # PMMG0095--Blue Steel 40 Round $49.95 $29.95 On Sale!

Item # PMMG0299--Stainless Steel 40 Round $54.95 $34.95 On Sale!

Item # PMX29--Set of four (4) Stainless 40 Round Mags $199.95 $149.95 On Sale!

Item # PMX95--Set of Four (4) Blued 40 Round Mags $200.00 $124.95 On Sale!

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
With a Choate M14 style front sight and a little trigger work my Mini-14 shoots accurately with most milsurp and handloads, about 2 inches from a rest at 100 yds.

It also feels very natural to me because I learned to shoot using bolt action .22lrs, Springfield 03s and Mauser 98s. AR15 pistol grip and high style sights are very uncomfortable for me.

It is also more reliable than any of the AR15s I have owned.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I own a couple Mini-14s and a Mini-30, as well as a host of Garands, M1As and ARs. I have always been a fan of Garand style actions. My mini's make great field/truck guns, but are far from accurate out of the box. My Bushy AR-15 service model will outshoot them all day long. So for accuracy I'll take an AR. I hand load and have tried to work up a consistent load for a mini, to no avail. Shoots the same with surplus FMJ as anything I can load up.

Getting reliable mags at a reasonable price (that is after you spend $100s on ones that don't work) is a problem. I still have some Ruger factory 20rnders that feed flawlessly. The others I have all have failure to feed problems. That is my biggest disappointment.

I am not bashing Mini's or else I wouldn't still own a few. But if the SHTF...I'll grab guns in this order: M1A, AR15, M1, 1911.......Mini-14/30

Garand_Guy

·
Registered
558 Posts
its all been said already. it always goes bang. sure accuracey might not be the standard of and ar but if you simply pin on a FS or a MB it will instantly cut your groups in half. odd yes but it works. over on perfectunion.com our mini section is HUGE. we have all kinds of informaiton over there to help. the M-14 section there is small which is why i came here lol.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have never had the chance to fire a AR or a M16. Got a friend that has a M16 so it might be in the future to get some trigger time. ( he keeps it put away because the black rifle puts the scare into everyone that sees it?) My Mini has "never failed to fire". Gets cleaned about every 500 rounds. :oops: But keeps on ticking. :D With all the talk about the Springfield M1A (at $1500.00 to $2000.00 per) problems and the poor accuracy of the Mini 14s, I guess I should dump my Mini and my Fed. Ord. M1A in the trash can and walk away with my head hung low! NOT! Both are reliable and never miss a lick. Both keep me real busy at the reloading bench. I did replace the hand guard on the Mini with the plastic style (just for looks) and a Choate FS. I liked the front blade sight so I cut the flash suppressor off and kept the blade. With all the crap about AWs I didn't want any flak. Come to find out, the guys at our gun club don't give a care so I need to replace the FS. The 20 round clips are all pre ban ( both mini and M1A). The other folks just drool and stare. After they shoot it, all you see is smiles! Great bunch of folks!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.