M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have to say Jersey Devil that you have a great build ahead. Press on and Good Luck to you in your quest for those parts that seem to be gone or forgotten. They are out there only most are in jungles and buried in the fields of war many years ago.

As you know the early Rifles were the first to go and seen the first to know how valuable they truly were, in combat. Most of the early Rifles were left in countries far away. Doing the job of Freeing the world from oppression.

Thanks for bringing back a Veteran that deserves, has the Right to be seen as she once was, a tool for Freedom.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Very nice Brian, glad you are back into this hobby. A 10-40 barrel is rare, only Bubba seemed to have that stuff... That is a very challenging restoration, so good luck with it.

Digressing somewhat, but back in 2012 I called the South Store to ask if they had any CMP Specials in 308W with a 5-digit serial number, and they had one, so I was able to purchase it. It's serial # 81449 (Nov 1940). It was for informal shooting, etc. Fast forward three years later and in 2015 and I spotted for sale on the CMP forum an unused CMP Special in 308W with an 81888 serial number, so it was only 439 digits apart from my rifle. I decided to buy it as future 'matching' gifts for my two sons. Just for the heck of it, to give it some late 1940 details, I did put some early sight covers, early milled rear HG clips on them, round clip latch releases, and a couple of early "SA-1" trigger guards on these M1s.
View attachment 467748
What's nice is these receiver's are both what I call 'grade A' condition with no pitting or blemishes.

Anyhow, welcome back, and what stock are you going to use for your 79k restoration? That's a neat project for sure. Keep us posted.
Yesterday their were 2 consecutive serial numbered Garands that were over 4,000.00 clams, for the pair on CMP Auction. 2 SA M1C Rifles at 4,156.00 with 4 days left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts