M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought I had a decent parts stash, but no early parts like you have! A barrel that early is pretty uncommon to find.

I’ve got all of the major parts to restore my 243,036 and really appreciate the work you are doing on this one! Still find I incredible that you had a lot of the parts as spares!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, those are very nice and very collectible rifles, for sure. Someone is going to be very happy with those in their collection.

I hate to add up the price tag of what I have invested into this restoration, but if I had to insure it right now I'd put a value of about 4K on it. The barrel alone is around $1K and the rear sight is another $700 or so, then the other parts. Just wait until you see the rest of the parts! Labor of love, for sure!

Thanks very much! I'd love to see your 200K receiver. What do you figure, May of 1941 or so? I have a July 1941 barrel for a future restoration. The late 1941 barrels are DIFFICULT to find!!

Cheers!
---Brian
I did not plan attempting to restore 243,036, and in truth I am not being totally accurate with this restoration. I bought it as a field grade from the CMP. I think it was a Philippine return. It came with the correct unfinished op rod catch and milled bullet guide.

Duffs Datasheet book has 345,088 with a 4/41 barrel. I figure the correct barrel for 243,036 would be 4/41 or maybe 3/41. However, I stumbled upon a decent 5/41 barrel at a normal used barrel price (under $200), so that is what I am using. I already have a suitable GHS stock collecting dust but paid market price for a flush-nut set. Most of the rest of the parts were found easily enough.

My only problem now is that I have no more room in my safe, and have found it easier to store in pieces!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts