1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Liquid Fluid Gas Grass

Plant Air gun Wood Trigger Grass

Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Motor vehicle

I have a chance to pick up another Garand for my collection. It appears to be pre-war 1940 and I was told by seller that it was not CMP due to being purchased from a private museum collection. Its a 5 digit serial number starting with 310xx. I have a 6 digit 1941. Looking for some comments from the group. I’ve attached some pictures. Im not going after values here because thats not what drives my passion to collect these rifles. They are all valuable to me. More interesting is the story of the year made to me.thanks in advance to everyone

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Beautiful M1. The parkerizing on the receiver looks correct for the period. The rear sight is a later version (no lock bars). That tells me this rifle went through at least one arsenal rebuild and is unlikely as it was when it left the factory in 1940. It's still a beautiful rifle that I would take home if I had the spare cash.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
According to Duff's book, the receiver was produced in March of 1940. Unless it's a true Gas Trap in its org. form, or has a bunch of earlier parts, it's just a 5-digit receiver worth according to grade of the entire rifle, or whatever someone is willing to give for it. It's not that unusual to see 5-digit receivers. Buy the rifle, not the story unless you have hard and valid provenance. HTH

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Nice looking stock on that 1940 rifle. It’s a typical post war rebuild, with the later style sights, post-war grey phosphate finish, etc. If curious what your rifle looked like originally, here’s my restoration of a 43k receiver (June 1940) with a reproduction gas trap front end. I did this project many years ago, when the early parts were still somewhat affordable, and a small set of repro gas trap gas cylinders were made (circa 2010) for those who wanted to build a shootable gas trap M1:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Stock looks very nice. Need many more pics. Should have Grooved clips, single slot, #1 oprod, short fork rod, early trigger group parts. Just for some things to look for. 1940 barrel too. One with good #s is worth 900 or so!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Duff's book, the receiver was produced in March of 1940. Unless it's a true Gas Trap in its org. form, or has a bunch of earlier parts, it's just a 5-digit receiver worth according to grade of the entire rifle, or whatever someone is willing to give for it. It's not that unusual to see 5-digit receivers. Buy the rifle, not the story unless you have hard and valid provenance. HTH
Thanks. That is the consensus from others as well It has a normal price on it. I get a little blind with a good story sometimes but the evidence everyone is pointing out is true to historic documentation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts