M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of curiosity;

my 0218xx NM rifle was confirmed to be NM from SA in 1982 and as you would expect it was the NM rear hooded sight aperture.

Now i have noticed that other newer NM rifles have "NM" stamped on the front sight. Mine does not and from what i can tell it never did.

Was that common for NM Pre-Ban M1A's? or am i need of a replacement for the sake of restoration?

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
out of curiosity;

my 0218xx NM rifle was confirmed to be NM from SA in 1982 and as you would expect it was the NM rear hooded sight aperture.

Now i have noticed that other newer NM rifles have "NM" stamped on the front sight. Mine does not and from what i can tell it never did.

Was that common for NM Pre-Ban M1A's? or am i need of a replacement for the sake of restoration?

Yes, you should have a NM front sight, NM.062 or NM.072 you choose. Your rear sight should be marked NM/2A with a NM windage knob if its not marked than your could have a std base @ windage knob with the NM leaf.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
SAI also did a "NM modification" on the standard rear sights in that they added a spring and ball detent into the receiver

and modified a standard windage knob with additional 1/2 min. notches....

I am not certain if they marked the ear of the sight base or the knob with NM when they employed that modification.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Need more info

Your front sight is .080 inch wide, which is one MOA. NMs are .062 and marked as 'NM'. you don't 'need' a NM front sight if you are happy with the one you have. The rear sight can be one of three. 1. Standard, 32 tpi, windage is four clicks per turn. 2. NM, so marked, four clicks per turn, but 64 tpi. 3. Modified, 32 tpi, eight clicks per turn. This is the one with the ball bearing and spring. Let us know what you need, and we'll scrounge around and see what comes up. dave

Reactions: st regis

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Your front sight is .080 inch wide, which is one MOA. NMs are .062 and marked as 'NM'. you don't 'need' a NM front sight if you are happy with the one you have. The rear sight can be one of three. 1. Standard, 32 tpi, windage is four clicks per turn. 2. NM, so marked, four clicks per turn, but 64 tpi. 3. Modified, 32 tpi, eight clicks per turn. This is the one with the ball bearing and spring. Let us know what you need, and we'll scrounge around and see what comes up. dave
thread res..lol yea its really hard to tell what was put on the rifle in '82 but i do have the ball detent and 1/2 MOA windage knob. I am missing the ball bearing and i need a snap ring for the windage knob's inner nut. The only reason i asked for this info was to see if SA,I put marked NM front sights on NM rifles or for that matter if NM front sights existed at the time

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I've got one (SAI NM) from that era that was assembled with a standard GI F/S and standard GI sights. I later swapped in a ball-bearing 1/2 min windage and a .595 aperture, left the front alone. It became one of my best M1A's with some work on the glass bedding, trigger, and unitizing the gas system. To look at it you'd just think it's another "Standard" M1A.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
If the previous owner was my age, he probably replaced the NM (.062) front sight with the wider standard issue as I've done. For some of us, the wider blade is easier to see and our scores actually improve.DI2

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If the previous owner was my age, he probably replaced the NM (.062) front sight with the wider standard issue as I've done. For some of us, the wider blade is easier to see and our scores actually improve.DI2
That skinny NM sight is also a real son of a gun if you're shooting in the early relays and the targets aren't well illuminated yet.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
FYI, the commercial manufacture NM 0.072 " wide front sight (stock number NM0510) only appears in the 1987 and 1988 SA, Inc. price lists. It's possible this part was available from SA, Inc. before or after that two year period. The stock numbering system was not implemented until 1984. FWIW

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI, the commercial manufacture NM 0.072 " wide front sight (stock number NM0510) only appears in the 1987 and 1988 SA, Inc. price lists. It's possible this part was available from SA, Inc. before or after that two year period. The stock numbering system was not implemented until 1984. FWIW
when i purchased the rifle I was told it had only ever been field stripped. once i purchased the correct tools i pulled everything apart and behold it had not been touched. This leads me to believe(knowing about a .072" NM front sight) that my front sight post is factory.

Thanks to all those who had input!GI2GI2

·
Registered
975 Posts
There are a lot match shooters that prefer the wide, standard width front sight blade. Some ramp it and make a bit shorter so the rear sight doesn't have come up so far for the longer ranges. It works well for me with the larger rear NM sight.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are a lot match shooters that prefer the wide, standard width front sight blade. Some ramp it and make a bit shorter so the rear sight doesn't have come up so far for the longer ranges. It works well for me with the larger rear NM sight.
cool info. but for this rifle im trying to keep it all circa 1982 when it was assembled and keep all the NM parts on it i can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.