M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MAK 90 that I was told was pre ban. I have searched the web looking for any information on how to verify it but havent had any luck. Any ideas? Its stamped "MAK-90 SPORTER", has a Norinco stamp, and is ingraved wirh C.J.A SFLD MI. It also is missing the bayo lug and flash supressor! So I have my doubts about it being pre ban. Its been a fine rifle though and is the most accurate ak type I have ever held :D . I will try and post a pic later if any would like to see it!

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
I have 2 Mak-90, one that was caught in the transition. The model # was scratched out and Mak-90 scratched in. It has the normal Ak Furniture. The other is a sporter with thumbhole stock.The ones with the thumbhole stock have a cut in the bottom corner of the reciever where the thumbhole stock butts up against the reciver. If a normal stock is put on, there is a gap. If it says sporter on it is post ban and if your rifle has normal AK furniture on it it needs to have the right amount of U.S. part in it. I couldnt stand the thumbhole stock on mine so I sent mine to Krebs Custom and Marc Krebs added metal to the reciever and squared the bottom corner so normal AK butt stock would sit flush against the reciever, no gap and he also added the right amount of U.S. parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Mak90 that I bought in September of 1993 for about $170. The serial number on the receiver is 93494XX, but the rest of the parts are stamped 494XX. It is stamped Norinco MAK-90 and has "Sporter" electro penciled on the receiver. It has no bayo lug or cleaning rod hole. It came with a cleaning rod, a cleaning kit, 1-30 and 1-5 round mag. It also came with a nice color manual. I removed the thumb hole stock and attached a regular AK stock with no problem.

Since I am pretty sure it is pre AWB ban rifle, why was it modified to the Sporter configuration? I think I heard somewhere that there was another ban before the AWB that might have applied to it. Does anyone know what it is and when it came to be?

·
Registered
609 Posts
If it is an MAK 90 it was imported after the 1989 ban. If by some miracle the requisite US parts were added (to be 922r compliant) before the 1994 AWB, and the rifle was changed from sporter configuration to pre-ban assault rifle configuration, then yes, it would be "pre-ban." Problem is, most of these new US parts to be 922r compliant weren't around before 1994, unless you mde your own.

More than likely, the rifle was a post 1989 import and had to comply with the sporter configuration and was not in a legal “assault weapon” configuration when the AWB went through it is NOT pre-ban.

There are two hoops you have to jump through here: the 1989 ban that “sporterized” all the incoming assault weapons saying if it is an import it can’t have the nasty features, thus the buthole stock. By replacing some of the 922r listed features with US made parts the rifle isn’t going to be subject to the same law as if it was all import parts. If you have a semiautomatic magazine fed rifle with all import parts in it and it was imported after the 1989 ban, it is illegal to install a pistol grip stock. At this point in time you can swap out some of the imported parts to make it 922r compliant and then install a pistolgrip, but because the weapon was not in pre-ban assault rifle configuration before the 1994 ban you have to comply with the AWB.

Clear as mud, right.

-Chris

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Funny, but I shoot with a bunch of LEOs, many recently retired now. In the 1989-1991 era, a bunch of us bought Aks, all sporterized with the loss of bayonet lug and thumbhole stock, but with the old style muzzle brake still there. I was the only one who didn't take saw and file to the thumbhole and open it up! That was a very common alteration up here next to D.C. during those days. Still have the rifle to this day. Also have an original Romanian WUM-1, a MAADI, and an NHM-91. Found another NHM-91 recently, new in box, for $450.00. That appears to be quite a deal in todays world. Also just saw a 99% MAK-90 go for $275 from an estate. :D :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, there is no doubt this time. I picked up a genuine pre 1989 ban Norinco AK today from a local gun shop. It looks amost exactly like my MAK90 except that it does NOT say MAK90 anywhere on it. It also has the pistol grip, bayo and lug, cleaning rod, and the threaded barrel with the slanted break. It came with the sling and 1-30 rnd mag. It was sold as a used gun, but it looks brand new.

It was marked down to $895 + tax from $995. I was lucky enough to get it for $891 out the door! I think I did well considering all the other I have seen like this are all priced well over $1000. This one has been on the back wall of this gun shop for well over a year.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sounds like you did great santino, that 1989 ban isn't going away. kinda sucks that it is the same rifle as your MAK 90, but our silly laws make then very different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks TB. You're right about that 1989 ban not going away. That played a major part in my decision to shell out the $ for this one (56S). I figure it won't do anything but increase in value while being fun to shoot at the same time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MAK 90

I just bought a Norinco MAK 90 today at a pawn shop near me, and just wondered, do all of these have milled receivers? this one is in the 18XXX serial # range, has a Choate Tool butthole stock, no brake, no lug, has a wonderful trigger pull...bought it for $300 ...just shot the heck out of a pop can at about 40 yards...very gratifying...Les

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its true. Back in 1993 when I bought my MAK90, you had the choice of a stamped or milled receiver. The milled were of course more expensive and were supposed to last longer. However, I have yet to hear of a worn out stamped one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This one is marked

Left side receiver... 386 in an oval..serial # ...MAK 90...Cal 7.62x39..Centarms Canada Made in China by Norinco... Right side ..CAI St Albans Vt no bayo lug, no Flash suppressor,,,has buthole stock

·
Registered
609 Posts
386 is the plant where the weapon was manufactured.

You might want to go check out the AK side of arf.com; there are a lot of knowledgeable folks over there.

-Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
any chinese AK with any STAMP ON IT WITH ..MAK is a post ban AK

MAK stands for ...mod-AK = all the goodys cut off :mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.