M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just my second thread on this forum so please bare with me gentleman. I have done a google search and have found some older threads that are similar but still leave me with following questions.

I currently have a pre-ban USGI Springfield in the factory Woodland Camo stock (SN# 046527) and am torn between using a Sage chassis or a USGI wood stock that was also acquired when I got the rifle. I have a few trips under my belt and with the stock iron sights in a low lit range it hasn't impressed me...but I am brand new with the platform.

Maybe the best thing is to shoot it as-is but I really wanted to preserve the camo stock and take advantage of what a modern platform's ergonomics and perhaps better accuracy. I can always go back to the original platform if I don't like the Sage...

I now have opportunity to acquire a "Sage Mod 1 EBR Chassis with Magpul CTR with riser, Tangodown grip and rail ladders" from a local fellow in a trade for a pistol I own. Now come the real questions:

1. I am assuming the my 1961 H&R USGI 22" barrel will fit the system (I assume this is a "standard" barrel profile)?;

2. Assuming the EBR comes with all the parts, screws, washers, etc. will I need to purchase anything else to make it work and/or is it safe to re-use the current parts?;

3. I have an ARMS low mount...can I still use it with the EBR Mod1 system?

4. How much weight will the Sage add versus the wood or synthetic?

Much thanks in advance for the advice of these kind enough to share their experience with a noob to the M1A platform!

A few photos just because most everyone likes them:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Have mine in a Sage and I love it. I love the look of wood though so now I have 6 all dressed in different clothes. I used the arms 18 with mine. The only mod to use the arms 18 is to the front set screw. ( so front handguard will fit) The stock should come with the oprod guide to use in the Sage. All parts should come with it to put together. As far as weight goes, it certainly added a few lbs but the cool factor outweighs the added weight.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I am sure this is somewhere but where do I get the set screw and what size is it?
the set screw is on the top rail as far as putting the rifle in the sage , my vote is no leave it in the camo stock its perfect that way, I love my ebrs no secret but the mod 1 needs a 18" action for a mod 1 maybe a mod 0 the action would make a nice m39 type ebr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the set screw is on the top rail as far as putting the rifle in the sage , my vote is no leave it in the camo stock its perfect that way, I love my ebrs no secret but the mod 1 needs a 18" action for a mod 1 maybe a mod 0 the action would make a nice m39 type ebr
So you think that the 22" will not be a good fit for the MOD1? If so, why so I don't make a mistake! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
So you think that the 22" will not be a good fit for the MOD1? If so, why so I don't make a mistake! Thanks!
it will fit just fine personally I dont think it belongs in a mod 1, that chassis is lighter since it uses a ar15 stock and doesnt balance as well with the longer barrel, the 22" barreled action is better suited in a mod 0 which is heavier butt end, of course this is my experience and opinion

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
He is talking about using the set screw for the flash suppressor castle nut so it sits flush inside the forward face of the ARMS 18. That way he can have the ARMS 18 installed with the sage mod 1 stock.

Op all you have to do is get another flash suppressor set screw and file the nub off of the end without the allen key head until it fits completely inside the arms 18. That way the face will be flush and will not interfere with the Sage top rail.

Also while you do have a "mod 1" style stock, unless you're trying to make an exact clone / replica it doesn't really matter. What matters is what you want.

·
Registered
523 Posts
+1 on Mod 0 for the 22".

I too believe the Mod 1 would be better on an 18" barrel if going the EBR route.
Beautiful rifle you have there as is though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts