M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help please, I am looking for some surplus type ammo to buy at a good price for my M14 type rifle. How does this PPU Match shoot? Seems to be a good price at 62 cents and boxer primed. Does anyone know of anything better out there for sale? What would be the best non-corrosive ammo to shoot and leave lay the brass, just something to have fun with?

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's not on par with FGMM or M852, but it doesn't shoot bad for the price. I've shot it at a couple of NRA 200yd reduced-course matches and experienced no issues.

I think that's about the cheapest factory "match" ammo you're going to find. The only other option would be to start loading your own.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
What would be the best non-corrosive ammo to shoot and leave lay the brass, just something to have fun with?
Not PPU match. The brass is worth saving.

If you want plinking ammunition, get a few battlepacks of DAG or POF. It's Berdan primed and non-corrosive, so the brass is truly disposable, and quite a bit cheaper than PPU.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
Check out the sticky in this section for good ammo deals for your fun shooting.

Weidener's has some PPU 45gr M80 clones, new and boxer-primed for $94/200 if you want to save your brass. For Berdan brass, the price can get down to 40 cents a round for the various surplus ammo.

I just got 1,000 rounds of the new M80 clones and it was still under 50 cents delivered. Time will tell how good the brass is, but it does have a primer crimp to remove.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Help please, I am looking for some surplus type ammo to buy at a good price for my M14 type rifle. How does this PPU Match shoot? Seems to be a good price at 62 cents and boxer primed. Does anyone know of anything better out there for sale? What would be the best non-corrosive ammo to shoot and leave lay the brass, just something to have fun with?
perazziboy, as mentioned above; if you are not into reloading get the DAG ammo or any other mil-surp recommended here on the forum. There are plenty of threads on the recommended ammo.Compare prices for Berdan primed ammo against Boxer primed. Most of this mil-surp ammo gives reasonable accuracy out of our gas guns. If you really want tack driving ammo, the price goes up. Last I looked the cheapest Fed GMM was +$1.00 a round. That's a little steep for me when I'm shooting 2-4 times a month. I do reload and find I can duplicate the Fed Gmm for less than half that price. dozier

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I do reload and get great results but like to have cheap ammo for the kids to shoot or some places are hard to pickup my good brass. Just trying to find the best ammo out there to shoot and let lay the brass and save a few penny's. This rifle really likes to go through the rounds. GI1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts