M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Looky what I built! I finally got FULL HYD steering on my '67 3000!
Anybody who ever had one these great little tractors could tell you what a Bear they are to steer! Ford didn't tie L&R together with a Tie Rod, they used Two Steering Arms & Drag Links! I kept that in place to keep L&R tied together but removed the upper steering shat & rec ball assy. In it's place I installed a steering valve from an old forklift. What makes all this doable is the right side steering arm that clamps onto the spindle. It has two holes, one for the drag link end & the other for the Hyd Cyl. I came pretty close to nailing the measurements just right when I had the Cyl made, but space constraints made it so it travels a Frog Hair more to the right than the left but I can live with that as I turn right when running the bushog. This whole project started because I was gonna install some shaft seals in the steering gearbox cause I couldn't keep lube in it. The 1st shaft nut I removed took the threads on the shaft with it! No backing up then!
Can steer now with One Finger! HAHAHA!!!

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice....now hows about that ''Stang'' off to the right?
That's Son N Law's 69 fastback. Just got done re-doing the engine, A/C Next!
Yeah it's gotta Delco one wire now.
It may look like a POS tractor but I bought it at the sale being drug thru on the end of a chain when I came home from Afghanistan in 2010 & this is the 1st real work I've done to it! That's not to say it don't NEED any work, it uses oil, left axle leaks & the PTO clutch is stuck, have to start it with PTO engaged.
The really good news is I ONLY Spent Twice what the tractor's worth on the Steering Upgrade!
I spose I shoulda just bought one them $600 power steering assist kits but I just don't do it that way...

·
Forum Jester
7,223 Posts
see if you can get one of those accordian type rubber sleeves to protect the seals from grit. when you shut it down for the day,make sure the cylinder shabft is all the way in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts