M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given about 25 pounds of military surplus gun powder that came marked as blc-2. I compared the physical appearance of this powder with a known quantity of BLC-2 and it does not look like the commercial blc-2. the unknown powder has smaller spheres and fewer flattened spheres.
By chance, I opened a Ik07 (Yugo) 7.62X51 ball m-80 round and the powder appears identical to the milsup powder given me. This Ik07 powder weighed 44.5 grs with a 147 gr. fmj bullet.
I am not into taking foolish chances but was wondering if there was any way of determining what kid of powder this is?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll take itMCORPS1

seriously though.
Start with a load a few grains below BLC2 minimum and work up from there.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It was not in the original sealed container.
Changing out the container wasn't very smart. Any way to contact the original owner to find out what it is? If a burn rate test as suggested doesn't work, I'd be hesitant to use it. dozier

·
Registered
343 Posts
Probably the reason it was given to you. Someone else did not want to take a chance blowing up their rifle to find out it is correctly marked.

Ditch it - the lawn will thank you for it.

Good luck

Jerry

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I know that powder is a little pricey but cheap compared to what costs there are to what can likely happen if you make a mistake in identifying it. I vote for ditching it ASAP.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Powder identification is easy spread all you got out on the driveway light with a strikeanywhere match and enjoy the show, yup it was powder. Seriously toss any powder not in the original can and that you are unsure of. Unless you are fond of nicknames like 'ol one eye, cyclops or stumpy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts