M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Happy Holidays to all,

I have been put in a potentially fortunate situation where I may be able to upgrade my rifle. I currently have a Springfield Standard M1A with a match wood stock, sadlak airborne mount, seekins rings, leupold mk4, turner sling and a harris bipod. My friends dad has offered to buy the rifle with atleast the scope should I choose to sell. It is always hard selling to family and friends, so I figure whatever the cost of the new rifle would be is what I would offer my friends dad.

I would like to know what you guys think would be an upgrade since getting a better rifle with the money from my first one would probably get me just a rifle and not a scope or mount until I save more money. I know the goal is more guns, but as a college guy I am not really in that position (yet).

I was looking at this, but would like to know thoughts and if there are any other recommendations. https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-rifle-w-rockola-receiver-7-62x51-cal-semi-auto

·
Registered
151 Posts
A Rock-ola is a definite upgrade. If I were you I'd have bought it like yesterday.If you wait a minute longer they'll be sold out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello and Happy Holidays to all,

I have been put in a potentially fortunate situation where I may be able to upgrade my rifle. I currently have a Springfield Standard M1A with a match wood stock, sadlak airborne mount, seekins rings, leupold mk4, turner sling and a harris bipod. My friends dad has offered to buy the rifle with atleast the scope should I choose to sell. It is always hard selling to family and friends, so I figure whatever the cost of the new rifle would be is what I would offer my friends dad.

I would like to know what you guys think would be an upgrade since getting a better rifle with the money from my first one would probably get me just a rifle and not a scope or mount until I save more money. I know the goal is more guns, but as a college guy I am not really in that position (yet).

I was looking at this, but would like to know thoughts and if there are any other recommendations. https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-rifle-w-rockola-receiver-7-62x51-cal-semi-auto
I think if you can buy the Rock-Ola with the funds received from the sale of the M1a standard with scope,mounts and bipod you would be doing well. Just my opinion. I assume the Rock-Ola will come with new bolt, op rod and barrel with the balance being USGI other than some small parts. I bet it will shoot with the best of the M1a's. Time is on your side, shoot it, improve it and document your progress as you go. Don't look back!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you making money on the deal? If you're not, given the situation, I don't know why you'd go through this exercise.
Thats the situation I am facing. If I got the Rockola it would cost pretty much every dollar I get from selling the standard. I know we shouldnt ask for values and such, but I figure the standard with everything is at most 2200 and I feel like that is a high number and its a friends family.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Don't sell it cheap just because you know the person buying it. I'm not saying to take advantage of anyone, just don't let anyone take advantage of you! Make sure you have a new one lined up before selling the one you have, you might regret it if you don't.

·
Registered
546 Posts
How well does your Springfield shoot? If it works well, and the only reason for the upgrade is to satisfy your desire for a forged receiver.....think of this. It'll likely take a monstrous pile of ammo, worth many thousands of dollars, to wear out a cast Springfield receiver. If you want to get the Rock Ola simple because it's "better", then go for it, but it doesn't make a lot of financial sense given your situation, especially if you'll end up adding an optic and mount.

It's not like you'd be upgrading from some POS rifle up to a good one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't sell it cheap just because you know the person buying it. I'm not saying to take advantage of anyone, just don't let anyone take advantage of you! Make sure you have a new one lined up before selling the one you have, you might regret it if you don't.
Very well said.. I've helped friends out before only to be burned later..

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Depends on how well your SAI M1A shoots and its age. If older I'd keep it. Older SAI rifles are some of my favorites of any M14/M1As.

No way a Rockola M14 is worth a quality SAI M1A + Leupold MK4 with mount/rings. Now if you could build your own with known quality GI parts, that's another story and if your M1A is newer. SAI quality went to hell post panics and when they began to use MIM parts. Over-priced in my opinion. A $2000 GI parts build is worth every penny in comparison.

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
191 Posts
My only input is if you do go for a Rockola think about both the 19.25" and the 22" versions. To me the 19.25" version seems like the perfect setup and they just got them back in stock. Mine arrives Tuesday so I'll post pictures when I get it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My SAI Standard was made after 2012 so no GI parts. The mk4 is SFP with mil-dot reticle and 1/4 MOA turrets. Would you guys think, as an extremely rough 60 grit sandpaper estimate, the rifle I currently have is worth 2300 or more or less. I know we should not give values, but I feel that because mine is a newer standard that keeps the value low.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After sitting with the rifle and looking at all I have put into it, the cost was 2550. If his dad would pay 2600 for it would that be adequate? The only thing I really dont want to let go of on this rifle is the airborne mount, but if a new rockola is ~2100 would the remainder get me another airborne mount? I think if his dad would not do that price I just wouldnt bother selling.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Whatever is sound to you. Getting your money out of it is solid. Not always the case with used rifles and accessories.

Personally I would want an upgrade to a NM barrel. Depends on what you want to do with it. Scoped and all I'd want a stiffer barrel. Makes a huge difference in my experience.

Reactions: Warowl

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It sounds like you haven't really 'talked price' with the POTENTIAL buyer.
Sure, he might be interested in buying, but perhaps only at a good price for him.
Don't count chickens ........

If you'd use the money just to buy another rifle, then the goal is to get the most money from the sale. And don't forget FFL registration, sales tax, shipping, etc.

In many cases, doing someone a favor by selling at a bargain price ends-up feeling unrewarding. They enjoy HAVING the item, but don't realize what it meant TO YOU.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
It sounds like you haven't really 'talked price' with the POTENTIAL buyer.
Sure, he might be interested in buying, but perhaps only at a good price for him.
Don't count chickens ........

If you'd use the money just to buy another rifle, then the goal is to get the most money from the sale. And don't forget FFL registration, sales tax, shipping, etc.

In many cases, doing someone a favor by selling at a bargain price ends-up feeling unrewarding. They enjoy HAVING the item, but don't realize what it meant TO YOU.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Well said Jay, and good advice not only to the OP but to everyone.
I have been in a similar situation where a close friend drooled over a particular rifle and begged to buy it until you tell them what you would have to have for it. A lot of people think these "ol' military type" rifles are not worth nearly as much as that new shinny model down at the corner store.......

If you want to sell, set a realistic value that you are happy with and let your buyer decide....

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
Just to throw this out there and open your options.

I've created an Excel spreadsheet that lists and adds all the components to build a complete Bula rifle with full retail prices (as-in through Jon Wolfe or myself) and a full Bula parts kit (receiver, barrel, bolt and all) would cost an estimated $1,690. If you shop around in the PX, can can lower this and if you get the cast gas cylinder, you can save even more.

The only parts that would be short of a complete build are:
-Rear sights (Keep Shooting has a sale on aftermarket rear sights for $38 right now)
-Flash suppressor/front sight/castle nut (~$50-$150)
-Front band ($15?)
-Cartridge clip guide ($10?)
-Stock/chassis, you decide...
-Builder (~$300 after shipping)

In the end you'd have a nearly all forged or bar-stock rifle at a pretty decent price. The only cast parts that Bula produces are trigger housings, triggers/sears, safeties, bolt stops and optional gas cylinders. But others consider a warranty of SAI the bigger prize.

You can get a kit together pretty affordably right now. That's the biggest thing that's got me fired up lately.

Tony.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts