M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. For a few weeks now, I've suddenly received some replies for my "Want to Buy" posts. I've responded to a couple of them via email, but have not made payment of any goods because I just seem to get these red flags. Each "member" that has reached out has been on the forum for about two months or less, and the communication just seems off. And it usually starts with something like, "Reach out to so and so, he has what you are looking for", and then a different email for that person. Also, I noticed one of the members was deleted or banned from the community and no longer a member here.

Has anyone else experienced something like this recently? Sometimes bad apples make it in the barrel and it's frustrating, especially when for a moment I feel like maybe someone has the parts I need, but it's bogus.

Thanks for the rant.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I've only been stung once, but it was a good lesson and I learned something about bogus offers as replies to want to buy adds.
I was after some connectors and received an offer for a quantity for $100. I accepted and they gave me an address in California to send the check to. I wasn't in a hurry and they send emails asking me to send the check soon and it seemed like they were pressuring me. I finally sent it and that was the last I heard. Note that they had sent pictures of the parts to confirm they had them.
After a too long wait with no replies to my queries I googled mapped the address. It was located in a very run down looking mobile home area that didn't strike me as the type of place that would be selling the parts I needed. I contacted the local Sherriff and they had a deputy go out and check. It seems the address was the home of a woman who didn't know anything about my order. She had been duped by a guy (probably in Nigeria) into thinking she was his internet girl friend and he had her receive checks and deposit them in his account. She didn't know what they were for. There was no way to recover the funds so I was out $100.
It won't happen again. If I had Googled the address in the first place I would not have sent the check.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I have seen posts that looked suspicious.

I suppose as a seller you have some protection, in that if the money clears, one way or another, you can be sure to do your part.

As a buyer, I look for join date and post count. Somebody probably isn't going to make a few hundred posts or more, and start several years ago, in order to scam me on a few hundred dollars now. Or at least, it's not likely. I'm just not that important to make it worth the effort.

But even then, I prefer buying from regular members that I recognize from post content. Aside from the security that they've got a reputation on the line (which if they are a regular member, may actually mean something), buying it from them has some added value. There have been items that I've bought that may not have been an absolutely outstanding bargain, but I'd rather get from somebody on this online community anyway. I mean, I like a great deal as much as anyone, so please don't tack on a 'Muppet Tax' or anything. :p

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,171 Posts
Unfortunately, without an iTrader type system we are screwed to a point.

No disrespect to newbies or oldies with 30 posts, but without a selling/buying history we can readily see, we are on our own so therefore I (and probably many others) will only buy from high profile, well known, or regular posting members with a decent post count that shows they are actively part of the community that I have been interacting with or seeing them selling for years. Honestly, sorry. But we have been bothering Admin for a rating system for 2 months with NO results, I am wondering if we will ever get anything back we had before.
m14brian

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Brian I agree, I had an impeccable reputation and now nothing. If I am buying something here it will be from a very reliable source or they will ship prior to my payment being sent. Sorry but thats the way its got to be.

REN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts