M14 Forum banner

Post Pictures of your Van Der Staak Painted Stocks

1207 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Jackofalltrades03
Fred’s (Jack Daily) used to sell various camo pattern fiberglass stocks. Adrianus Van Der Staak is the guy that finished the stocks for him and offered a number of patterns. These are fairly rare today and they don’t come up very often. I’m trying to catalog the different patterns that were available as there’s not much information out there, so if you have one on these stocks, post a picture of it. I’ve included some of the pictures I found on this forum and noted their source.

I recently acquired this stock, I think the pattern was called LRRP. Unfortunately a previous owner hacked it up with a Dremel, guess he thought he was going to bed it. Not sure if it can be saved, but I liked the pattern.
Grass Terrestrial plant Road surface Groundcover Soil

Grass Plant Road surface Terrestrial plant Twig

Posted by Brodie 3
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Plant Gas

Posted by Capona
Wood Root vegetable Soil Tobacco Vegetable

Posted by Sam I Am
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Posted by Cody M1A
Yellow Wood Rectangle Font Line
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
665 Posts
Couldn't find my old images of the stocks, but I still have about 6 of them I believe. I have all of the above except "Sam I Am" stock, which I could never find, and it is one of my favorites. The one Cody has is the one I sold him years ago.

Here is one of them. I'll try and dig out the others and take more photos.

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Biome Groundcover

Ah found a pic in an older post...Still have all but 1 and 3 starting from the left.

Shoe Leg Wood Musical instrument Drinkware

And I bought this from Doug Carlton probably 10 years ago...

Wood Air gun Road surface Brick Human leg

· Registered
760 Posts
Your stock can be saved. It could be cut in half and still be saved. I don't throw away ANY USGI M-14 anything. You can't replace any History once it's tossed out. Pass it on to someone else if you cannot fix, but I guarantee someone will try.

Jarhead

· Registered
140 Posts
Sumo
That rifle leaning against the tree is quite a looker!

You stated: " I still have about 6 of them I believe. I have all of the above except "Sam I Am" stock, which I could never find, and it is one of my favorites. "

Reaper6
I appreciate you putting this thread out and attempting to gather this list.

You stated " Adrianus Van Der Staak is the guy that finished the stocks for him and offered a number of patterns. "

The way these are stated leads me to believe there is a list, posting, brochure or something that shows or indicates the stocks offered or done by Adrianus Van Der Staak. Do y'all have one of these you can share or point me toward? Or is this one of those things that you remember seeing and is knowledge remembered by those that saw similar postings, brochure or something? I am not doubting your comments or claims here. Quite the opposite, being new to this gun and having one of these stocks I am trying to find evidence/ provenance so I can keep for future.

I am enjoying the post and glad to have a stock included in the list!

· Registered
10,030 Posts
I can share some knowledge I acquired.
VanDerStaak was a restoration artist.
His last restoration effort before death I believe was the Charlotte NC courthouse ceiling.
He was a hunter and outdoorsman as well, hence the camo stocks. He would use the best USGI stocks Fred had for his effort, filling in the selector hole before finish. Doug Carlton is familiar with him being local to the NC area and he has a few stocks as well. A few interesting ones.

I would Say when you see a Staak, you kind of know it subliminally that it’s a Staak.

· Registered
140 Posts
I can share some knowledge I acquired.
VanDerStaak was a restoration artist.
His last restoration effort before death I believe was the Charlotte NC courthouse ceiling.
He was a hunter and outdoorsman as well, hence the camo stocks. He would use the best USGI stocks Fred had for his effort, filling in the selector hole before finish. Doug Carlton is familiar with him being local to the NC area and he has a few stocks as well. A few interesting ones.

I would Say when you see a Staak, you kind of know it subliminally that it’s a Staak.
Thank you for this information. Maybe Doug Carlton will share some more on this thread.

· Registered
665 Posts
I remember when I bought these from Fred (Jack), he was close to calling it quits, and had gathered up his remaining camo stocks that Adrianus had finished for him. I offered to buy up what he had left except for the doubles, so I know all the ones I have are his stocks.

Just remembered I also had a ”Lizard” patterned stock too, but for some dumb reason sold it.

· Super Moderator
2,409 Posts
The notorious AVDS. A mountain of a man with an accent so thick he strangled the English language as he spoke. He was an artist and taught me a thing or two about dye vs stain.

Jack worked with him for years, had a special "section" in the old Coca-Cola warehouse where he kept them and guarded them as if they were gold. Once he moved to the new warehouse they were a needle in a haystack. STRONG, reinforced and always had the pebble treatment, Adrian was an artist and yes, there is no mistaking one of his creations.

· Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone recall how much these stocks sold for new from Freds? I've really enjoyed seeing the different patterns! Being from Charlotte, it's neat to know he painted the inside of the courthouse. I feel like I missing out by not knowing him. I'm glad everyone is sharing his work!

· Registered
140 Posts
Once he moved to the new warehouse they were a needle in a haystack. STRONG, reinforced and always had the pebble treatment, Adrian was an artist and yes, there is no mistaking one of his creations.
This is help in validating the stock on my rifle is one of his, as best as can be, I recon. The 'pebble' finish I thought was interesting on the stock. It does give it a good feel and sure grip. The selector switch is filled in and others have indicated the stock I have is a Staak stock based on their knowledge. Now I feel I may need to put another stock on it to preserve this camo stock, reduce the chance of marring the finish.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
To me the Sam I Am and Cody M1A are variations of the same theme. I have done blended painting similar to this for backgrounds to my wife's paintings.

Does anyone know if this was done with air brushes or rattle cans? I can't picture it being done any other way....

· Registered
10,030 Posts
To me the Sam I Am and Cody M1A are variations of the same theme. I have done blended painting similar to this for backgrounds to my wife's paintings.

Does anyone know if this was done with air brushes or rattle cans? I can't picture it being done any other way....
I always assumed mine was air brushed by the look of it. The man was a restoration artist laying on his back doing fresco ceiling work at times. I would assume he was proficient in physical brush and air brush . Maybe used both.

I doubt a rattle can was used in his works. Maybe as a base coat

· Registered
3,200 Posts
I always assumed mine was air brushed by the look of it. The man was a restoration artist laying on his back doing fresco ceiling work at times. I would assume he was proficient in physical brush and air brush . Maybe used both.

I doubt a rattle can was used in his works. Maybe as a base coat
I like doing this kind of stuff and you would be surprised at what can be done with some torn cardboard for stencils. FYI, you can buy much better tips for rattle cans than come with them. Take a close look at some of the really good graffiti artists. Better paint and tips equal artwork going for big money, and I'm not talking about the abstract BS either.....

Without close examination, the picture you posted I think could be done with the right mix of rubberized truck bed liner/rock guard and some caterpillar yellow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts