M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have seen pictures of M14 shooters and i realice that the possition they take its really close to the back sight,(Without scope) i mean the eye of the shooter is very,very close to the sight.

Maybe these pictures are made with the Match rifles and the position is diferent.

is that true?

also if i change the standart back sight for the Match one will be I more accurate ?

Thank you
maybe is a stupid cuestion but here there are´nt any Match rifle to see.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A person's head position on the stock may have as much to do with individual body build as anything. Those of us with longer necks will naturally be further up on the stock than shorter people. With that said, the closer your eye is to the rear sight, the easier it is to maintain proper sight alignment. With the M1A/M14, the rear sight isn't what is going to smack you in the face anyway, it will be the heel of the receiver. Even so, I never had an issue with the receiver hitting me in the face. With the stock firmly in the shoulder and being held there with a firm grip, your body will be riding with the recoil rather than the rifle coming in to you.

The match sight for the M14 is actually just a hood that replaces the loop. The purpose of the hood is that it rotates to give you 1/2 minute elevation adjustments. It also uses a smaller aperature that, for many, does help refine the sight picture for target shooting.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Also, I always place my cheek in the same spot on top of my right thumb, as it is wrapped around the grip. Provides a more consistent sight picture; better accuracy & repeatability.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Having adequate 'eye relief' from the rear sight is important to make sure you or your glasses don't get smacked!

Being closer to the rear sight makes it easier to see more area around the target - such as the number board.

A smaller rear apeture is a little more accurate for aiming but is also dimmer.
The accuracy improvement is because POOR sight alignment is easier to notice with a small aperture.

The hood on the NM rear apeture prevents glare on the aperture, and makes it easier to concentrate on sight picture.
The hood also is used for making 1/2 moa elev and windage changes.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ditto on the above.

Emphasize that to have a comfortable repeatable position is most important. Moving your head position on the stock will result in different impact points.

Ensure that you are keeping the entire front sight in the same place in the rear aperture. It can be easy to concentrate on the front sight and lose track of the front within the aperture and not just the front sight on the target. This can be easier with the smaller aperture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.