M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If we remove the gas piston on a M14 and use the rifle like a bolt action, we get rid of the problem of bad gas piston, bad op rod alignment, ... so theorically we can get better accuracy ?

I wish to know what the M14 expert think about this method.

Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Why not just close the spindle valve and try it out yourself.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
There have been a few threads and quite a few posts on this subject. Gus,Lou and Ted,and many other TFL guys have all had something to say about it so there is alot of good knowledge and experience in them. By the way welcome to TFL.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Close the spindle valve and shoot it. If your stock is tight and not allowing a lot of movement I don't think your going to see that much difference. If your lockdown and stock fit is loose then it may make a positive difference. Your just talking about removing some of the movement that takes place after the bullet has left the barrel and an increase in the amount of gas that pushes the bullet forward.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I did this by mistake one time. Ejecting the rounds was a pain. Much more difficult than a bolt action. It was not much fun at all.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Hello,

If we remove the gas piston on a M14 and use the rifle like a bolt action, we get rid of the problem of bad gas piston, bad op rod alignment, ... so theorically we can get better accuracy ?

I wish to know what the M14 expert think about this method.

Thanks for your answers.

No need!!!GI6

My Gas piston is GTG...

As well as my operating rod alignment.FRG1

It ain't broke?

Then why tinker with it??GI8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No need!!!GI6

My Gas piston is GTG...

As well as my operating rod alignment.FRG1

It ain't broke?

Then why tinker with it??GI8
I asked because I just have a m14 norinco and doing accuracy with it is not an easy task :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I hear yeh but simply shutting off the gas system will not provide you with a sure fire way to check for barrel accuracy or the accuracy based of the barrel in a particular stock. You would have to somehow lock the weapon down so that there is no movement in the POA. That would allow you to check the accuracy of the barrel in the stock. But due to many areas of movement in the stock that still wouldn't tell you if the barrel is dead on. For that you would need to lock the barrel down so there is no movement of any kind caused by the stock fitting. This way you could check accuracy of the weapon as a whole unit and accuracy of the barrel itself. My biggest concern is the barrel accuracy. Once I know that then I can start to work on any movement, rubbing, looseness, etc as it applies to the weapon as a whole.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
This has been a subject of fascination and experimentation a long time. "Improved" M14's with double-lugged actions, beefy free-floating barrels, and massive laminated stocks were built for test at Rock Island Arsenal mid-70's. If you have Stevens' book it's at pp 309-312. The project director, R.E. Snodgrass, is quoted: "All concepts have produced less than two minutes of angle dispersion at 100 yards using M118 Match ammunition. This represents approximately 100% improvement over the current acceptance standard of the M14 NM specification." OK, whatever, except that AMU's (and I assume USMC's) National Match M14's had been printing (benched) 2 & 1/2" extreme spreads 10 rds at 300 Meters with the same ammo since the 60's. Go figure. 1) It ain't gonna get much better with any full-bore gas gun, then or now, than a glass-bedded M14 (or clone) with a good barrel, trigger, and front-end job. 2) If you've gotta have tighter groups it'll take a bolt gun or a tube gun or a good AR that'll spin the heavier boolits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts