M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST OPENED A COUPLE OF PORTUGUESE BATTLE PACKS OF 308 TO FIND MOST OF THE AMMO HAD CORROSION ON IT. I THOUGHT THESE THINGS WERE MOISTURE PROOF. MY SOUTH AFRICAN 223 WAS FINE. ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
TimSpawn,

I bought three cases and have already gone through eight battlepacks, no problems on these.

I did notice that there was a case of ammo at the store that was damaged in shipping and that one battlepack (maybe more) WAS cut, I guess from the wood or something. Anyway, the store owner decided that he would sell the inidividual boxes from any damaged battle pack...

Sorry to hear that your ammo was corroded. Can you get your money back?

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
BUMMER ..... :(

I wonder if there is some way you can return it ..... :idea:

Six

·
Registered
47 Posts
On my second 1000 of this stuff and only had couple little spots on one or two individual cartridges. My girl loves this stuff (if only the brass was worth saving) and constantly shoots 1.5 or better. The lots I've been getting are late 70's stuff.

All this and it's only $130/k delivered!

If they won't take it back wonder if you tumbled it for a few minutes you could clean it up a bit. I know there are different opinions about tumbling loaded ammo but I do it just before a match sometimes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I GOT THE AMMO IN A TRADE SO I'M NOT SURE WHERE IT CAME FROM. I'M GONNA TRY IT LIKE IT IS. IF I HAVE PROBLEMS I'LL TUMBLE IT. IT SOUNDS LIKE I JUST GOT A BAD BATCH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use caution with this stuff, its steel jacketed!!

the steel jacket is copper washed, so it might alleviate a little wear, but watch the wear on the gun, and only use this in chrome lined barrels.
also, its made for the HK style action(Portugal used the G3), and is a mite hotter than regular 7.62x51mm

I use it in my FAL all the time, and like it, but i make sure to clean well.

try the magnet on the slug, if it sticks, its steel jacketed!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Portuguese ammo

timspawn, Man, please don't ever tumble loaded ammo, this changes the burning rate of the powder, you can't predict what will happen. My Portuguese looks great, functions great, groups like crap. Made in 83.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The vast majority of ammunition fired by the M1 Rifle during WW2 was M2 AP. Copper washed steel jacket.

Didn't burn out Garand barrels and ain't gonna do anything different with M14 barrels. It's a non-issue.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ron Smith of Smith Enterprise told me it was perfectly safe to use Port in my Smith M14 Match rifle with a Douglas heavy match barrel. He said he shot Port for years when he was competing.

Have you tried shaving the bullet with a knife? If it's copper washed it must be a thick coat 8O . I took off a fair size slice and I couldn't see any steel jacket, only copper. Could this be a steel core with copper jacket?

Greg

·
Registered
846 Posts
do you know the lot # of the bad ammo??

the M2 AP i have has copper jacket and steel core. if you put a magnet to the tip it doesn't stick but the base of the bullet it does. copperwashed M2 ball the magnet sticks everywhere. it's no matter neither will wear the barrell faster than the other.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've tumbled loaded ammo and it didnt change a thing..the 8-10 minutes in the tumbler only made the crappy looking ammo look nice. At least that's what the chrono says..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.