M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just popped my first primer while hand priming. Scared the &^(^ out of me.

Small Rifle on 556; Don't know what I did, but one of my left hand fingers was partially over the mouth of the case. Felt like a firecracker in your hand.

Moral of the story, watch where your fingers are...

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Glad you did not get hurt.
I always treat the Shell Case i am priming as a Gun and keep it pointed away from my face JIC!
Check for debris in you primer cup.
Most likely it was just a bad primer.
Just for the record what brand?

Reactions: Casimirblue

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
CCI Small Rifle
Quality Primer. I totally expect this from the veru soft cup S&B primers i use but it has not happened to me...yet.
I bet it was just a fluke.
I would check the ram and your primer and Cup just to be safe.

Reactions: 23eagle

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Glad you did not get hurt.
I always treat the Shell Case i am priming as a Gun and keep it pointed away from my face JIC!
Check for debris in you primer cup.
Most likely it was just a bad primer.
Just for the record what brand?
This is why I always wear safety glasses while reloading, and treat the case being primed like a loaded gun. Good advice from SGT John!

·
Registered
26 Posts
After about 40 years of priming cases, I popped a primer on a 308 case in the garage last month.

*** !!! POW !!! *** - Ears ring - no harm done.

It was a Lake City case that I had failed to perfectly cut the primer crimp out of.

It was on one of these RCBS bench / tube priming tools.

I know ... you guys are sick of hearing it...
But - when you charge your rifle, you may want to make damn sure it's pointed somewhere safe, as a " high primer " could bust a round off in your bedroom. YIKES1

We all know that our military firing pins are bumping the primer face.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never thought this was even possible.....Another reason i love this forum, I learn something every time I read here.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just popped my first primer while hand priming. Felt like a firecracker in your hand.

Moral of the story, watch where your fingers are...
Yeah, buddy, it sho do hurt.

I popped a magnum rifle primer a few months ago, trying to deprime the case without proper tools. Hurt bad enough that I'll never do that again, and makes me doubly conscious when I'm priming cases during reloading sessions. I still have a small smooth spot on the pad of my middle finger.

Reactions: Casimirblue

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Was the primer squared with the pocket? I have been reloading since the early 80's and the only primer I ever popped went cockeyed into the pocket and popped. Still don't know what caused it to cant but it did.
As nicholst55 already stated, always wear safety glasses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts