M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be pushing the envelope on the intent of this forum, but did the "slant pockets" on the Jungle Shirts of Vietnam serve a practical purpose? :arm15: I imagine that it wasn't just a fashion/styling exercise. Why did they drop this styling? Any info from the Veterans appreciated!

·
Registered
365 Posts
back in style

The slant pockets are back in style. The Marines have adopted slant pockets on the new digital BDUs - as well as shoulder pockets.

I heard that the slanted pockets make it easier to access the contents with the ALICE straps down the front. Ironic that most of the web gear now are vests or other LBE worn on the torso.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the explanation 1911-it makes perfect sense now! I tried it out with the M1956 suspenders. I see now that the lower pockets were put "below the belt" for accessability too. One can learn a lot from you fellows! :arm37:

·
Registered
43 Posts
They also supposedly drained water out of the pockets. The Vietnam vintage uniforms my dad had in 1965 were OD green with the slant pockets on the shirts, they had a drain hole at the corner of each pocket on the bottom.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I dont know the understanding behind regular pockets other than maybe to help people sewing on nametags to get them straight. The new army uniform will also have slant pockets with velcro and the lower pockets wont be there but instead pockets will be on the sleeves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.