M14 Forum banner

Polyurethane finish on the synthetic stock?

1861 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Quagmire
Just curious if I could seal my stock in a polyurethane coat. Something to protect the already fragile black paint is what I'm trying to do. It's already starting to chip off in certain areas. Just figured if I sealed it then maybe it would take more abuse to muck up the finish. Any of you guys here sealed your plastic stocks? What do you say?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
It is just my opinion, but I do not this you will be at all happy with the SF Armory "black" finish. That is if you use the rifle much because of adhesion problems. If you like black, then strip the current finish off and repaint with a flat black or try your hand at a como pattern. Then cover with a no gloss poly. or acylic. If you are afraid of messing it up, buy a $10dollar stock at a gun show for practice.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
w30Olds,

The problem is two-fold; If the stock was not prepped well the paint won't stick, and if there is not a durability coat the surface wont absorb much damage. The Polyurethane or Polycrillic over your factory "finish" may work OK, but if it has chipped already you may be better served with starting over and doing the job well. Hillbilly gave some good advice.

Take Care,

Tony
LAW483 Project Stocks

· Registered
49 Posts
Brownells AlumaHyde II works well. Mine hasn't chipped/flaked. It comes in flat black.
Don't breath fumes ; use cotton resprirator. NO FLAMES near vapors. Get the stock and the can up to 90 degrees and pay for the extra nozzles.Enjoy

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finished the stock up. I coated it with a satin urethane and so far it looks pretty darn good. Looks like it might hold up alot better than before. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's all finished and finally dried. Looks really good in my opinion. The satin urethane gave it a "wet" look. Not to shinny, but just enough to give it a "wet" look. I love it. Seems to be more durable and water rolls right off. When I went to the range Sunday it rained a bit and my rifle got wet. The water beaded up and ran right off. Could be the finish, but it would have ran off with the factory finish as well.

Anyway I love the outcome. Did 2 coats of satin urethane and couldn't be more pleased. :D

· Registered
1,663 Posts
w30olds: Will the urethane finish chip & scratch? I know that polyurethane will, is this the same thing?

That's what bothers me about those type of finishes. When it chips or gets scratched up you've no way of easily repairing the damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.