M14 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Please show good close up and in focus pictures of Mr. Straits workmanship. I am interested in his technique. Did he say he could use your existing barrel?
You may want to photograph and record your USGI bolt's lug dimensions and your receiver bolt lug recesses before shipping your rifle off for the conversion.
I took measurements before I sent it.
He will use the existing barrel and says a GI barrel will fit if I choose later without modifications.
I guess he cuts the Chinese receiver lugs and spot hardens with Kasenit or similiar

·
Registered
993 Posts
Please show good close up and in focus pictures of Mr. Straits workmanship. I am interested in his technique. Did he say he could use your existing barrel?
I took measurements before I sent it.
He will use the existing barrel and says a GI barrel will fit if I choose later without modifications.
I guess he cuts the Chinese receiver lugs and spot hardens with Kasenit or similiar
That is interesting. I know he has been doing them for years and I never heard anyone complain about his workmanship.
I would really be interested in seeing some photos of your rifle when it is done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I received the Polytec back from Warbirds custom Guns today. From looking at it I really cant tell exactly what he did. He did open up the bolt lug about .030. he lapped teh bolt to the gun but made no other mods to the bolt. Another TRW bolt wont fit without lapping so it is a real tight fit.
I dont know if he cut the chamber.
It headspaces at 1.631.
I am going to send him another gun.

·
Premium Member
17,750 Posts
Sounds like you made a good decision.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds good. Tim did a Poly bolt conversion for me many years, and thousands of rounds, ago. I am sure you will be happy with his work.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I received the Polytec back from Warbirds custom Guns today. From looking at it I really cant tell exactly what he did. He did open up the bolt lug about .030. he lapped teh bolt to the gun but made no other mods to the bolt. Another TRW bolt wont fit without lapping so it is a real tight fit.
I dont know if he cut the chamber.
It headspaces at 1.631.
I am going to send him another gun.
If you can post some good close up photos, I would like to see what was done. Was the barrel removed, does it still have the grub screw in the receiver?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you can post some good close up photos, I would like to see what was done. Was the barrel removed, does it still have the grub screw in the receiver?
The barrel was not removed. Tim requires that the barreled action be reparked as part of the process. I assume because he spot hardens the receiver lugs where he removed some metal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I sent another Chinese M14S to Warbird for conversion., this time a Norinco. Here are picturesd of the left and right lugs. He requires a repark after conversion so I guess(hope) there is surface hardening done.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The right lug looks OK, the left lug looks not so OK. Helix angles are a design feature that is not to be ignored.
Too bad he does not heat treat the entire receiver.....

Since the barrel is removed, can you take a photo of the left lug from the face of the receiver?

·
Registered
993 Posts
You might want to take a sharpie marker and check the lug contact with the bolt that was supposed to lapped to that receiver.
You also may want to take a flashlight and see if you can see any light between the receiver and bolt lugs with the bolt in battery.

·
Premium Member
17,750 Posts
You might want to take a sharpie marker and check the lug contact with the bolt that was supposed to lapped to that receiver.
You also may want to take a flashlight and see if you can see any light between the receiver and bolt lugs with the bolt in battery.
Excellent suggestion. Left lug looks as if it was cut with a wood rasp or a rough grinding wheel.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I sent another Chinese M14S to Warbird for conversion., this time a Norinco. Here are picturesd of the left and right lugs. He requires a repark after conversion so I guess(hope) there is surface hardening done.

Do you have images corresponding to these from before he did the work?

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts