M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just received my new SA Loaded M1A. It came with the plastic stock, and rubber recoil pad.

In messing around with the rifle, field stripping it, etc, I noticed that the forend of the stock is reeeeally flimsy. It's very easy to twist by hand, or compress towards the barrel when the rifle is assembled.

I haven't shot the rifle yet, so I have no idea on how accurately it shoots.

My question is, will swapping the stock out for a GI contour walnut piece (I just can't get used to the Boyd's chunky cut stocks!) be more rigid in the forend?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a wood stock will be much more solid, a usgi fiberglass stock will also be much more solid, I have all 3 stocks.
Thank you, Six Clicks. I didn't need much convincing, as I think these rifles look best in walnut. RNGR2

You'd think a rifle with this price tag would come with a decent stock. Whatever.

To follow up, have you had any experience with the GI contoured stocks sold by Fulton Armory?

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,075 Posts
My question is, will swapping the stock out for a GI contour walnut piece (I just can't get used to the Boyd's chunky cut stocks!) be more rigid in the forend?
Yes, very much so. The SAI synthetic stock is very bendy in the front. I think most people that are concerned will just replace it, it won't bother most gun owners, in fact Nutnfancy in one of his M1A reviews said the SAI synthetic stock is his favorite.
I prefer the USGI fiberglass of the 3, if you really want to be cooking with gas, look into a modern chassis stock such as a Sage EBR or J.A.E.-100, the ultimate in strength.
m14brian

·
Registered
871 Posts
In the last 2 years I did a bunch of enhancements to my standard just trying to get the best out of it. With the factory stock ,we will call it plastic, it shoots very good but when I sling up it does pull the forearm over. I then tried a GI birch that worked OK but I just don't like it so I picked up a GI glass stock and it's doing ok. I'm going to try and firm up the forearm and stick with it until these new carbon stocks get out to some shooters and see how it works . For now my vote goes to the GI fiberglass.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Nice stocks come up for sale often, right here on this forum. You can put the polymer stock up for auction on eBay, make the auction end on sat or sun evening for maximum $$ . I've seen some go for ridiculous prices on there , sometimes for enough $$ to cover a new stock.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
To follow up, have you had any experience with the GI contoured stocks sold by Fulton Armory?
Yes, I have a Fulton usgi profile walnut stock W/O the selector notch, I finished it but have not shot it, I would highly suggest this stock if that's the direction your leaning. Very nicely made. I finished it with 2 coats of boiled linseed oil.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
The only stock specifically designed not to flex at the forend are the "chunky" style made by Boyd's, Minelli, etc. They are the ones used on National Match models. If you intend to sling up tight or use a bipod, that is the economical way to go.

Both the fiberglass and wood USGI stocks will flex at the forend if slung tight. Used ones may already be warped or ill fitting. The best way to test one is to put it on the rifle with the gas cylinder and front band removed. Leave off the handguard and look down the barrel channed to see if the barrel is centered. Push the forend back and forth to see if the barrel returns to center.

The factory polymer stocks should not be ruled out. They are waterproof and nearly indestructable. Some forum members are shooting MOA with them, defying all logic. The only things you can't do with them are sling up tight or mount a bipod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.