M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the fake flash suppressor from my Poly Tech M14S. The set screw is out and the castle nut is loose, but I can't get the flash suppressor to budge. The only thing I tried so far is soaking with Break-Free and WD40 and then hitting it with a mallet. What next? Should I try heating it? If so, what should I use to heat it? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well unfortunately...

Most of the ones I've seen are spot welded on right behind the Castle Nut seat. Look for two spot welds in that area. If you look real close you might be able to see where they ground the welds smooth and refinished them.

Sometimes...

The welds are not very good and a little heat will loosen them enough that you can tap it off with a wooden dowel and a hammer. Keep the barrel cool and just heat the Flash Suppressor. It helps to be able to determine where the welds are exactly, so that you can put the tip of the flame right on the exact spot.

But then again sometimes...

The welds are pretty good and more drastic measures are necessary.

Try it...maybe you will get lucky.

Well...do ya feel lucky?

TC

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most likely welds, and if you don't see any welds, it maybe loc tite.
If you have a dremel tool handy, this is what I used to take mine off with.
I just made some cuts in the castle nut, not enought to go through, but almost there, and was able to knock it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine came off very easily just by tapping with a rubber mallet. I did notice, however, two tiny spot weld areas around the 6 o'clock area just under the suppressor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.