M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Not sure if all of the members know this, so I wanted to post this up for all to read.

There's been a lot of political threads popping up here in the Geedunk as of late. I don't think it's intentional, rather I think it's because many members don't know that we do have a political sub-form for exactly those types of threads.

It's not "advertised" per se, and users have to request access to it. I'm fairly sure that's the reason this is happening.

Should you request access to the Politics sub-form, please know the following:

• The ROE still apply. NO exceptions.
  • If you disagree with someone's position, debate it in a civil manner.
  • DO NOT attack others who may not share the same political views as you.
  • Any users who violate these basic rules will have their access to the Politics sub-form revoked without warning.
One other thing to remember: Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're attacking you. Discuss the position, the politics, and the ideologies behind them. Don't go after one another or slip into badgering people because they differ in opinion.

To gain access to the Politics sub-forum, please read this thread: http://m14forum.com/announcements/98630-access-politics-reality-check-forums.html

Please refrain from posting politically charged threads in the Geedunk from here on out. They will be moved to the Political forum without notice.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Great idea...can we call it the Forum of Foolish Futility? GI1

I have never ever seen anyone on the internet post "Wow You're right!! I have been wrong all along about my beliefs and affiliations" in any argument involving politics or religion

but it is a great idea to create a separate mud wrestling pit!!!

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Politics forum isn't "new". It's been around for a while. It seems most people don't know about it though, and it's best that political discussions go there than out in public forum.

And as I stated: if people can't mind their P's and Q's in that sub-forum, they'll find themselves without access.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like it!! a staging area for ejection candidates!!

as you can see I never knew there was such a place on this site

needless to say I won't be petitioning for access...

if I feel the need to punish myself

I'll just walk into the kitchen

and grab a fork and stick it in my eye GI2

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I wouldn't think of attacking someone in the Politics forum. We are all entitled to our opinions. It's just that everyone in there is wrong except me.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I wouldn't think of attacking someone in the Politics forum. We are all entitled to our opinions. It's just that everyone in there is wrong except me.

excuse me but I beg to differ....I am much more right than you are...whatever you believe in!! <laughing>

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Visigoth9 Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawnerves

excuse me but I beg to differ....I am much more right than you are...whatever you believe in!! <laughing>
All this attacking is making me hungry. I'm going out for a chocolate shake and some fries. If my wife finds out I'm off my diet there will be some more attacking when I get back.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
All this attacking is making me hungry. I'm going out for a chocolate shake and some fries. If my wife finds out I'm off my diet there will be some more attacking when I get back.
But you will go out in a blaze of glory as avowed in the SHTF thread!!!

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
but it is a great idea to create a separate mud wrestling pit!!!
It may seem distasteful to some to even allow political discussion in a forum at all but the political forum does serve a practical purpose. Before it came to be, despite the rules, people would post political stuff in the Geedunk or in the gun rights section-the connection to gun rights often being a stretch. Right before the 2008 election it seemed like threads were getting deleted almost every day. Shortly thereafter, the political forum was started so if people wanted to get into it, they had to go to a private forum while those who didn't want to see it, didn't have to; all the while, the moderators didn't have to constantly police up threads.

In its early days, the political forum was pretty civil and informative. Then not so long ago a couple of members who are no longer here turned it into a dumping ground for bigotry. Now it's getting back to its original purpose. For the most part, people don't argue in the political forum but when they do, it doesn't suck in people that had started off their session here with the intent to learn about M14's and end up getting riled up and involved with debating instead.

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may seem distasteful to some to even allow political discussion in a forum at all but the political forum does serve a practical purpose.
I've never requested access to the Politics Forum here. I'm glad it's set away from interfering in stuff that I DO want to talk about, such as rifles and shooting.
Exactly. It's human nature for people to want to discuss things that interest them. Some people enjoy talking politics, others have a strong distaste for it.

As this site truly is about the M14, this section provides folks a place to hold conversations about those topics, but keeps it in a separate area wherein it isn't a major feature of the site. I think it's a good compromise.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Exactly. It's human nature for people to want to discuss things that interest them. Some people enjoy talking politics, others have a strong distaste for it.

As this site truly is about the M14, this section provides folks a place to hold conversations about those topics, but keeps it in a separate area wherein it isn't a major feature of the site. I think it's a good compromise.
I feel MUCH better after I dump my emotions onto someone else!

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Damn leadbug, if you're going to post Pelosi pictures, do it in Reality Check, with a warning in the title.

Reactions: leadbug

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

I heartily agree. Kind of like a 'Smoking Area'. I am extremely allergic to nicotine, but my problem is with the chemical, not the guy using it. And those who simply can't (or don't want to) quit should have space to do so.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, i am still a relative newb around here

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,039 Posts
Me as well, thanks for the heads up. Just here to share and learn, not to piss anyone off.
m14brian

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Truly an Amazing Thread!

Metonomy Posts in the Geedunk that Political Posts should be posted in the 'Politics' Forum...and to please refrain from posting Political Posts in the Geedunk in the future or they will be moved without notice!

Yet...?

Is this not a 'Microcosm' of how some folks post daily here on the Forum?

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.