M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be wrong with Polishing your own Gas Pistons? I chuck my pistons in a 3/8 drill, and use mothers polish or some silver polish. It leaves a highly mirrow finish. What do you guys think??????? :wink:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
DJ:

You know what? After looking at this polished Gas Piston that I got from Fulton Armory, it does look like something that can be done at home. I just received it and it appeared that only the round part of the piston is polished...

I'm going to mic it and see if its the same as the original piston...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think crocas cloth is used to polish the piston.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
328 Posts
polishing

ox:
yes the piston should be polished enough with brownells no. 555 polish or very fine 400 grit crocus cloth or rouge cloth just so it will float properly. do not overpolish as per gene barnett to me as the clearances are critical for gas evacuation in the gas cylinder no more than .4970" or the piston travel will be affected.
gene also gave me his drift on a procedure which some amu armorers used they cut a fine groove in the piston to allow gas to travel over the piston to evacuate faster. some others as gene said to me disagree on this so its about 50-50 he made me a tool that holds the piston so the notch can be cut. also polish the insides of the flash suppressor. jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts