M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The difference in the bullet weight is the cause. The heavier bullet will move farther in the direction of the rifling due to the greater mass.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Barrel harmonics always has some effect on a bullet's trajectory but I don't believe that it has as much effect as the bullet weight/mass differences at this short of range. A change of a quarter inch or so in POI, at 100 yards, due to Harmonics is a reasonable expectation but not 6". So while I agree that this shift in POI is due to a combination of issues, my opinion is that bullet weight and design differences are the major contributors in this case.

For the benefit of the OP, all bullet trajectories are effected in the vertical and the horizontal by all sorts of things, I am just arguing that one of those things/elements is predominate in this case. There are several good sources of information that you can refer to for detailed studies on this stuff, one of the better ones is Bryan Litz's book "Applied Ballistics For Long-Range Shooting" ( I thank the poster on this forum that led me to it).

This is the nature of the shooting sports, we all have an opinion and things that seem to work best for us, and the poor new guy gets caught in the middle wondering who in the heck is right. SHOCKED2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.